Just bought myself a big Acer Campestre

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
If you could please post a picture of the tree after the workshop with Will that would be appreciated. I'm intrigued how he's going to improve the taper. They heal pretty fast though when you let them run.

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
May I ask you where in Denmark you bought it or by who? I would like to get one too. Thanks.

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
its pretty obvious it grew very well. i wonder why you didnt reduce the lump at the top to round about here, during the growing season. that way a bulk of energy could of gone into the lower trunk. looks like the apex took everything
Yeah, that's what I'm wondering too :)

My next move is cutting it down to the line you drew probably. Update tomorrow evening after the workshop.

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
May I ask you where in Denmark you bought it or by who? I would like to get one too. Thanks.
You should look up "Peter Landerloos" on facebook, I got it from his friend. He does the sale stuff. They got a bunch of them left. If you want I can hook you up.

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You should look up "Peter Landerloos" on facebook, I got it from his friend. He does the sale stuff. They got a bunch of them left. If you want I can hook you up.

Thank you for your reply. It's a little funny. I know Peter and his friend Henrik who made them. I live about 5 min. Drive from Peter and 20 min. Drive from Henrik. But I forgot that they have those trees. I will contact Henrik and buy one if the price is OK. May I ask wich pricerange the tree is in? You can reply private, if you wan't. If not that's also fine :)

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I had a feeling Will B would take that approach, eventually it will just look like an old rugged, deciduous tree like you see in the park or the woods:)

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I see.
the taper looks better with the side branch off.
Cheers for the update.

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Selected the primary branches and wired them into position. There's some more cool branches in the back but forgot to take a picture of them.
An approach graft will be made later this year somewhere halway the trunk on the left side. Already wired a thin back branch in place.

Damn, I'm getting less and less tree. Still weighs a ton... :D

20210204_163902.jpg

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Another year hass passed since the last post.
I started working on the tree Yesterday and all of the sudden I noticed that the front that I had in mind for 3 years wasn't the best side of the tree. I turned it around and it looked way better that way.

New front:

20220223_120528.jpg

Old front:

20220223_120335.jpg

360 view:

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Very nice.

Will you keep the dead wood ? I have one that I removed from my hedge with a big scar at the back, and it doesn't really heal.

acerc01_070103c.png acerc01_190611b.jpg acerc01_190611c.jpg acerc01_170713a.jpg

But it's OK from the front side :

acerc01_151021a.jpg

PS: it really needs repotting, but will I have enough time this spring, and where can I find a suitable pot at a reasonable price ?...

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Will you keep the dead wood ?
I'm no expert on healing wounds either. But so far al the scars I have on the tree are healing nicely. They all do have a branch near them that speeds up the healing process and scarring the newly formed callus every year might also help I guess.
The deadwood that is there now will stay until a better solution presents itself. But I have no intention of removing it anytime soon.

As far as pots go. I'm liking what Marjan Mirt is doing. He makes big pots at prices that won't make you have to sell your house.
I will also need a pot for this tree some years from now. It will have to be at least 50cm x 40cm x 10cm so finding a suitable one will be a challenge :)

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Selected the primary branches and wired them into position. There's some more cool branches in the back but forgot to take a picture of them.
An approach graft will be made later this year somewhere halway the trunk on the left side. Already wired a thin back branch in place.

Damn, I'm getting less and less tree. Still weighs a ton... :D

View attachment 352627

I still prefer this as the front, the trunk and base just looks more powerful. If mine tho i would look at tilting to left slightly so more of the left root is under the soil and get a bit more of the flare from the far right root showing. its coming on nicely

ps you could probably take some of the edge off the deadwood now, so the tree tapers out better.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Heeeeyyyyyy. The Fonz.
Maybe that phrase is only something that surfaced from my watching American TV years ago. Happy days back then.
Nice tree. Definitely a work of art in the making. And, you’ll make it happen.

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I still prefer this as the front, the trunk and base just looks more powerful. If mine tho i would look at tilting to left slightly so more of the left root is under the soil and get a bit more of the flare from the far right root showing. its coming on nicely

ps you could probably take some of the edge off the deadwood now, so the tree tapers out better.
You got some good points there. I still have 6 months left to decide wich way I'm gonna go. :)

Top Bottom