Just collected a sweet mugo

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
From a parking lot perimeter where the plows pile the snow year after year.

Treated it as a balled-and-burlapped nursery tree. Just dug a rootball and planted it in a growing bed with minimal disturbance. If it survives I will plant it in a container in Spring 2016. In my experience this is a rare piece on this side of the Atlantic.

AMB0NAB.gif

ZD7uHJo.gif

BoyPRrp.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It is a very nice trunk but your timing is a bit late for collecting by about 2 months, particularly with the cooler summer we had.

I recommend you provide it with extra protection over the winter.

It could make a nice tree, hope it survives.
Good luck.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
It is a very nice trunk but your timing is a bit late for collecting by about 2 months, particularly with the cooler summer we had.

I recommend you provide it with extra protection over the winter.

It could make a nice tree, hope it survives.
Good luck.

Early fall is actually a great time to collect/transplant material in the Northeast. Cool air and warm soil equals great root growing. The rule of thumb is to transplant material like this a minimum of 6 weeks before the ground starts to freeze. There is plenty of time for this one to become established before old man winter shows up, I'd say.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Early fall is actually a great time to collect/transplant material in the Northeast. Cool air and warm soil equals great root growing. The rule of thumb is to transplant material like this a minimum of 6 weeks before the ground starts to freeze. There is plenty of time for this one to become established before old man winter shows up, I'd say.

Not meaning to be argumentative but Northern Georgia is nothing like Northern Toronto. It could be it works out that way, who knows you may very well be right, but from the looks of the tree I would not do anything to it until the Summer of 2017.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Not meaning to be argumentative but Northern Georgia is nothing like Northern Toronto. It could be it works out that way, who knows you may very well be right, but from the looks of the tree I would not do anything to it until the Summer of 2017.

I gardened for two decades in MA...October was the best moth of the year for moving landscape trees, in my experience.

By the way, where I used to live, the ground would be frozen several weeks before Xmas...down here it freezes for about 6 hours in late January:).

Last edited:

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Not at all trying to say this was the ideal time to collect. Store manager gave permission so I dug before she changed her mind. As I mentioned, I'm treating it like a landscape tree. Got a solid rootball and didn't disturb it further. If it was spring I'd rake out some field soil and plant it in a box with bonsai medium so I could manage the water. Now it sits in the raised bed so if it lives I'll have to "collect" it again.

If it lives or dies I wont be surprised either way.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Not at all trying to say this was the ideal time to collect. Store manager gave permission so I dug before she changed her mind. As I mentioned, I'm treating it like a landscape tree. Got a solid rootball and didn't disturb it further. If it was spring I'd rake out some field soil and plant it in a box with bonsai medium so I could manage the water. Now it sits in the raised bed so if it lives I'll have to "collect" it again.

If it lives or dies I wont be surprised either way.

You should be OK but don't be in a hurry to do something with it next spring. I have lost Mugos making that assumption, even trying to be very conservative, and cautious. Wait till next summer at the earliest or even the following spring if you are convinced my summer repotting is bunk.

Top Bottom