Just curious, just what do you get out of Bonsai?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I was wondering.
about what you folk got out of Bonsai?

AND how do you handle the concept of found Bonsai [ Yamamdori ] ?

As one who grows from seed/cutting / airlayer -------- I enjoy watching them
grow into the designs.
Didn't find looking for pre-done stuff very interesting.
Did that on the cliffs overlooking our seas.

But there is an excitement when a seed achieves a design [ the days of photographs ]
Anyone?
Thanks
Anthony

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
@Anthony I enjoy the fruits of my labor. I enjoy seeing my work develop and age. I see good trees as a reflection of man, a creature who overcomes every challenge thrown at it to become a glorious creature in the end. The excellent tree is beautiful because it has good roots and orients itself to light. There's more to it of course. But that's all I'm gonna say 'bout that. Please don't be too critical.

As for yamadori. I love it. I have some collected material, but nothing so venerable as some of the members here have shown. Nothing extremely old. Very young material; stuff I could've grown myself 10-20 years ago. There's joy in all things I do related to bonsai. From pots, wiring, repotting, from cute bonsai to more serious bonsai (don't know if I have anything yall take seriously yet :D). I enjoy the moment I see the base of my maples improve from a season growing on a board. I'm excited to see the color of my primary branches on my quince age from brown to grey. There's so much pleasure in this hobby for me.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I get moments with trees without having to organize the family to go hiking. I have always been attracted to all the different trees in the forests, bogs, mountains, this way I can enjoy them in my garden. I love collected trees, hell North America has immeasurable amounts of wild trees. I figure us who appreciate, and care for them, should feel good about our love of the trees. It is also the only thing in my life that vaguely resembles an artistic endeavor. :D

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bonsai gives me something totally unrelated to my work to escape from the "real world". I enjoy grow and develop. I enjoy my time working on them when it's me and the tree.

I think Yamadori are beautiful and support their collection as long as it's done ethically and with the preservation of the tree and the environment they come from in mind.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I find great enjoyment in every aspect of bonsai, but there is especially a moment of peaceful solitude that I have come to crave, when you are deep inside a tree and focused on nothing else. So fragile, you even think you're there and it's gone. I find it when I'm deep in the woods going cross country with my dogs looking for collectables, trees, berries, shrooms, I don't really need a reason to be out there, I'm going anyway.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Creative purpose, for one thing. My day job (which should mercifully end in the next couple of years) is one of those "About Schmidt" jobs, you know, where you leave and they box up your work product of 40 years and put it out for the trash. There's nothing creative in it; just pure technocrat BS. So bonsai makes up for it, in part.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just curious, just what do you get out of Bonsai?

You mean apart from the ball and chain thing?

Winters are both a curse and a blessing. The ball and chain are released for a good six months. Trees under snow and taken care off 100 percent by nature. But whatever we do get out of it we've got to wait for next season.
Yay, no ball and chain!
Damn, no trees!
Spring repotting is my favourite part of it all. Especially root pruning deciduous trees, strange but true. That's my favourite.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
What do I get?
I get in trouble when I dig a plant from the garden. :p

Actually I don't and that is cool.

Seriously though it's hard to pin point, I'm learning still mainly. I had a set reason for starting out and still would like that to be my end goal but like everything it's not that simple and more importantly it takes time.
So I'm learning whilst taking the time, realizing this has allowed me to slow down and be comfortable enough with that to start find pleasure in the little things when they go right.

So for now I will take the good with the bad, build my knowledge and hort skills up, grow from seed, get nursery stock, dig a gardendori, buy a mallsai and all that is in between so I can get there.

Knowledge awakens pleasure.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So you practice a craft, that costs in equipment - pots, tools, purchased plants.
Uses parts of Art training and Horticulture.
AND has no commercial use ------------------------ who wants an apple tree that
can only safely bear 3 or 4 apples :)

Hah - steps onto podium ---------

You use seeds, ground growing, learn pottery, compost making, and tools needed are
really only two, concave and root pruner ----------- because you start with seeds.
A normal small scissors is your next best friend.

Then you find yourself in a quiet place, that nourishes the mind, your health improves
through exercise [ hand watering ] and slowing the heart, solving problems.
One day you realise that you are 110 years old and still as fit as you were at 25 years of
age, mind at peace. joy, and contentment.

All because you looked after your children.
Good Day
Anthony

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bonsai gives me something totally unrelated to my work to escape from the "real world". I enjoy grow and develop. I enjoy my time working on them when it's me and the tree.

I think Yamadori are beautiful and support their collection as long as it's done ethically and with the preservation of the tree and the environment they come from in mind.

Had an editing error. The second sentence should have said:" I enjoy watching them grow and develop"

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Working on my trees, looking forward to their development, envisioning their future silhouette, aspiring to admire them as bonsai, watching them growing to meet my expectations, caring anxiously for their health, spending hours on hours studying about their species related needs and a loooot more, all these deeds together render a precious peace of mind to me. Irreplaceable serenity which I would like to last uninterrupted..., this alas will never be possible.

@Anthony I admit I am lazy regarding growing from seed.
However, I do admire those bonsai trees which have been grown from seeds and I highly respect their growers/owners. I have also tried growing seeds but concluded that this is not for me.
I do understand your views expressed here but let me comment that it seems to me that you are a little bit... "monolithic" or absolute ? :D

Last edited:

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I find the experience very similar to owning pets. You feed, water, and groom them. You have hopes and dreams for their future. You exhibit them in shows. You propagate them by breeding and cloning. They respond by becoming healthy, attractive members of the family. You morn their death. I believe there is a very tangible relationship between the tree and it's caretaker.IMG_0467.JPG

Top Bottom