Just curious...what your neighbors think...to those who have a lot of bonsai

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Was reading the amount of one posters head count of bonsai material...I know many have a humongous bonsai collection. Be it pre-bonsai and what have you. Many...I am sure have them behind privacy fencing. For protection of theft. But for those who do have them on display so to speak without having the privacy fence. What do your neighbors say...if anything to your growing hobby?

I have just three...and get comments. From friends and family...so lets add that as well...

Comments you have gotten on your large growing collection of bonsai...care to share?

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I probably have dwindled my potted collection to about 30, and at least that in the ground in various beds around the property, but my nearest neighbor is probably 75 yards away behind a huge row of Leyland Cypress privacy screen that is at my side and back boundary. The other side is more of an open shot to their house, but they are a bit downhill and off to a weird angle (or I should say I'm at a weird angle). Behind me about another 75 yards is a road bordered by the L-shaped Leyland double row, so no worries there either. I dont hide my stuff at all. People would need binoculars to see anything, and they probably have other things to look at that are far more interesting than my trees. You could say they cant see the trees for the forest (Cypress). That's right, I said it.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I get various comments...
- Are you selling?
- You have the best garden in the neighborhood. (totally not true)
- You have a lot of bonsai. (I correct them right away that my trees are not yet bonsai)
- Wish I can grow plants like you do.
- Wow, I cannot even keep my lawn green.
- Very nice plants!
- You can use my yard to keep some if you want.
- Those are too big...maybe you should have left them by the river. (not sure where the river part came from)
- I like that one.
- Do they need winter protection?
- I am digging xxxxx tree, are you interested?
- Any of those edible?
- Can you give me tips on how to care for my plant?
- What fertilizer do you use?
- Cool, can I take pictures? My buddy loves bonsai.
- Isn't that torture?
- etc.
- etc.

Lots of these lead to long conversations. :)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Oh more...
- My family is visiting from out of state. I want to show them your yard if possible. (this led to a 5 person hour long tour) LOL
- I thought bonsai is a type of tree. (referring to the Karate Kid tree-is that juni or pine? Can't recall)

Last edited:

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live but the good fences make good neibors motto. If someone saw my trees they have been invited to or they are trespassing behind locked gates.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have one neighbor that might be able to see the tops of my trees over the fence. Ive gotten no comments. The only other people that come into the back yard are the guys that mow the lawn and they are more interested in avoiding my dogs.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I've got a ton of grow lights illuminating one of my rooms, so I think it's a safe assumption as to what my neighbors are thinking I'm doing :p

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The front entrance is in my Avatar and it is 57 foot long so we keep a few landscape plants out there and for the summer we put out around 10 Bonsai on small stands. The only people that really see it is friends, family, and delivery people. Because I did the crushed stone bed we change it up a bit every year and I find it interesting that they all notice and comment. Sometimes it leads to rather lengthy discussion and for that reason those people recently received several of my plants each. Everything else is out back so unless you come over for a Barbeque you do not see anything. At present we are pretty remote but that is changing soon and I am still not positive how I will set things up in the Spring. Moving to a more populated Community I am certain it will be quite different.

Grimmy

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've got a ton of grow lights illuminating one of my rooms, so I think it's a safe assumption as to what my neighbors are thinking I'm doing :p

I have a neighbor who is a Federal employee (I am not sure which agency) and he made sure to check my garage winter set-up w/ lights and all. I didn't mind talking to him, though I know he was "probing". ;)

Fast became my friend after. :)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Off topic a bit...we did have a man locally lose his entire home to fire...but was able to save 19 marijuana plants and his grow light system...before all was lost. One wonders...how long it took him to remove them from his basement...had he not done that and called the fire department first...could his home been spared?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Off topic a bit...we did have a man locally lose his entire home to fire...but was able to save 19 marijuana plants and his grow light system...before all was lost. One wonders...how long it took him to remove them from his basement...had he not done that and called the fire department first...could his home been spared?

Hey saving the 19 plants probably guaranteed him a new home...complete with guards, sprinkler system, intrusion detection, free meals, and no utility bills as well! :p

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My Wife reminded me that the Bedminster Regional Land Conservancy did in fact invite me to show our gardens in 2010 during their Garden Tour event. It was nice to be invited as they only choose five properties a year. I declined as I was not "comphy" with having 300 - 500 strangers roaming about and the Wife agreed. She also just took the opportunity to tell me we have pictures and it made me chuckle... Kind of the same... :rolleyes:

Grimmy

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
LOL, anymore knowing our email and phones are being monitored, when I talk about getting a new pot I always express it as a new bonsai pot. I use special lighting indoors to keep the color in my koi up during winter and find myself explaining with out others asking. I'm not sure they are buying as sounds a little ridiculous what we do to preserve our hobbies.

atleast those neighbors and church acquaintences can properly pronounce the word bonsai. :)

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you noticed an increase in the amount of helicopter activity in the area?

My neighbor thinks the bonsai "thing" is weird...but I think a lot of the things he spends time on are weird as well, so we're even.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
At my first home, I installed a privacy fence as I didn't want people on the road to see my trees...I'm pretty sure I convinced my wife we needed one to keep the kids and dogs in the back yard:eek:). My new house is in a large, heavily populated development, but the property is fairly isolated, heavily wooded...and the view into my back yard from anywhere other then my deck is poor at best. There is better sun exposure along the front of my house (still difficult or impossible to see from the road) but it can be seen from the driveway, which bothers me. Only a few neighbors know I have trees or have seen my trees and I'm ok with that. To a person, they all think the trees are very cool and always want to know how old the real big ones are...:)

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Have you noticed an increase in the amount of helicopter activity in the area?

My neighbor thinks the bonsai "thing" is weird...but I think a lot of the things he spends time on are weird as well, so we're even.

It's the weirdest thing, none of my neighbors have asked about it. I live in a cul-de-sac where there are plenty of houses, yet no one has asked. I guess it probably has to do with the fact that my Dad was a Police Officer and my brother is a Deputy Sheriff :p

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My yard is completely viewable to the neighbors.They see My dedication to my trees through the growing season. They are very supportive and have stopped over to look at them.I cannot remember the exact remarks.They are nice enough to let me collect their wood ash from their fire pit for my spring and fall applications.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Most neighbors here can't see my yard. But so far from the front house that shares the property I got.

How come the pots don't break if the trees are so old, I would think the roots would break the pot?
Can you take care of my yard?
How come they look so healthy if they're in such small pots?
How come my roses leaves are yellow? ...
Did that come from China?

Top Bottom