Just curious...what your neighbors think...to those who have a lot of bonsai

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Most neighbors here can't see my yard. But so far from the front house I got.

How come the pots don't break if the trees are so old, I would think the roots would break the pot?
Can you take care of my yard?
How come they look so healthy if they're in such small pots?
How come my roses leaves are yellow? ...
Did that come from China?
That looks complicated.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I posted this in another thread a year or so ago, I have people comment on my trees all the time. I get it more often when I am in my RV in a town for a job, people come up and ask me all kinds of stuff. I had one ask me if I grew up in China. The weirdest thing happened twice, first time an old couple walked up and asked me if I thought that training Bonsai was torture to the trees, I explained how its like gardening in a way yet I design their growth, and the woman said " sounds like a control freak " and years later another man asked me if I enjoyed " torturing trees "

ed

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've heard the "torture" question/comment a few times. In return, I just ask if they consider it torture when a tree gets hit by lightning, or when a storm breaks a trunk/branches, or when a rockslide crushes a tree, or any one of dozens of other possible natural causes of tree damage or disfigurement. They usually say they never thought of it that way before...you can also ask them if they've ever pruned their hedges or cut back their roses.

Chris

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
and years later another man asked me if I enjoyed " torturing trees "

ed

I've heard the "torture" question/comment a few times. In return, I just ask if they consider it torture when a tree gets hit by lightning, or when a storm breaks a trunk/branches, or when a rockslide crushes a tree, or any one of dozens of other possible natural causes of tree damage or disfigurement. They usually say they never thought of it that way before...you can also ask them if they've ever pruned their hedges or cut back their roses.

Chris

I just say "yes...absolutely":cool:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Chris

I had one ask me that and I asked them if they ever did gardening and what they call it when they eat their veggies. Game over. ;)

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I passed on a few of these topics to Uncle K. Cruelty in bonsai, is something all have to reason out. Normally we ask if the person cuts the lawn or trims hedges, much more mass being removed there than on 200 or 300 trees.

I know K's limit is ripping bark off of trees or deliberately trying to induce any damage to the trunk. In the 80's a chemical was offered that irritated the tree's bark, and forced the tree to grow. Problem was it left the bark coarse, even if the tree normally had a mature smooth bark.

As to where the trees stay. Backyard, behind a bamboo fence. Years ago the orchid society popularised flowers to the point that theft became rampant. The next door neighbour had a collection of very common orchids, pilfered by - Ninja.
Folk inside the community caught him and had his legs broken [ read shattered]. He couldn't climb after that, but still kept on stealing, until elsewhere, he was shot and killed.

So when the Bonsai society, did the same for Bonsai, everything moved from the front yard to the back and Uncle K, left the world of Bonsai - told everyone that he had given up on Bonsai.
Today, the dogs guard the collection and only old friends drop by to have tea and enjoy the trees.
Fancy stuff like cameras and so on, will do nothing to stop theft here, and if they really want to get in, they will either bring a female dog in heat, or poison the dogs.

Guess what, K only has female dogs, and they are more protective of owners than males. Additionally one white for day and 2 black dogs for night.
He also has two killer cats, that will go for eyes and throats. Saw the idea in Lobsang Rampa and the Temple cats.

Fortunately, this is an extremely low crime zone, and so far no incidents.
Good Day
Anthony

* The neighbours here have yardmen and gardeners, no real interest in gardening or plants.
Hence the very common orchids - something to chat about - hah hah - nose in air -chuckle.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
On the topic of torturing trees, we had a botanist come to our club once and mentioned our torture of plants. One member was offended and launched into a rant of how healthy the plants are and how collected trees are often doomed to construction or living in sub-standard condition. Lady dern near teared up! Personally, I feel if there is no central nervous system, there is no "pain" and thus torture is impossible.

That aside, my neighbor calls me Mr. Miyagi as I'm into bonsai and martial arts. I can dig it. *waxes on* My family asks me to "make them a bonsai" but I've refused on account of my belief that it would be a waste of material for someone who wouldn't spend the time to keep em healthy. *waxes off*

Seems like everyone and their cousin has owned a bonsai tree at some point, gotten their feet wet, and then got turned off when they learn the have to water every day.

It's nice to be able to share your passions with the ignorant. Every now and again they take a serious interest and let you take them to dinner to talk about it. :D

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have enjoyed the stories...goodness Anthony! That is crazy...about needing a white dog for day...and black dogs for night. Wow! Would make me afraid to venture out almost.

But...reminds me when we do missions...we have someone always stay back at the house. Because it makes our stuff safer to not be alone. Even if it is just a cook. Hired while we are there...to give her income. The entire home rented has security to keep ones out.

Our guest house in the city once used an electric fence on top of the fence where most use sharp wire and even razor blades. When someone attempted to cross the fence...got zapped and hurt. They made them do away with the electric fence deeming it to dangerous to have. But...the only danger was if one planned on breaking into the place. But that was irrelevant.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shh, Darleene, said very quietly,

the only crime I have ever witnessed is someone being arrested -- in a major U.S city.
Happened right in front of me.

I have heard about crime, but for all the years, I walked and moved around San Fernando, even deeper south, I have never seen one. I have been all over Trinidad, fished on secluded beaches [ the whole island is a beach ] until very late [ past 10 p.m ] and seen nothing.

Our crime tends to be focused in 5 or so areas around Port of Spain, and has been so since the 1800's. The island is no paradise, you must be aware.

So these situations of dogs and cats are preventatives. Our maids have to have a reference, and be trusted for at least a year, before we leave them in the house alone. They may not steal, but they may talk and you are never sure just who is listening.
Good Day
Anthony

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Shh, Darleene, said very quietly,

the only crime I have ever witnessed is someone being arrested -- in a major U.S city.
Happened right in front of me.

I have heard about crime, but for all the years, I walked and moved around San Fernando, even deeper south, I have never seen one. I have been all over Trinidad, fished on secluded beaches [ the whole island is a beach ] until very late [ past 10 p.m ] and seen nothing.

Our crime tends to be focused in 5 or so areas around Port of Spain, and has been so since the 1800's. The island is no paradise, you must be aware.

So these situations of dogs and cats are preventatives. Our maids have to have a reference, and be trusted for at least a year, before we leave them in the house alone. They may not steal, but they may talk and you are never sure just who is listening.
Good Day
Anthony
(Loved the "said quietly"part)
Glad to hear it is a preventative...and not prevalent in your area...the guest house area where we stayed had a shooting down at the intersection from it. It isn't safe to walk outside the walls for a woman. Crime is bad there...but...I felt safe with our team. And safe inside our protective walls. The village we went to had less crime. But still some...you just took precautions...as you do there.

I guess...living in a town with a low crime rate...makes one sometimes naive to crimes...even seeing men with AK 47's while in Honduras ( I think that is what my husband called them)I felt safe, due to they were protecting the businesses we were using. So...protecting us.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Only shooting around here is me or a Hunter or two. I have been told were we are moving is even more quiet. The Police Chief and the State Police both laughed when I asked them about the crime rate. We are still having a 6 foot cedar privacy stockade put up in the Spring as I feel no matter where, if I don't tempt people it is 75 percent of the program.

Grimmy

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On the topic of torturing trees, we had a botanist come to our club once and mentioned our torture of plants. One member was offended and launched into a rant of how healthy the plants are and how collected trees are often doomed to construction or living in sub-standard condition. Lady dern near teared up! Personally, I feel if there is no central nervous system, there is no "pain" and thus torture is impossible.

That aside, my neighbor calls me Mr. Miyagi as I'm into bonsai and martial arts. I can dig it. *waxes on* My family asks me to "make them a bonsai" but I've refused on account of my belief that it would be a waste of material for someone who wouldn't spend the time to keep em healthy. *waxes off*

Seems like everyone and their cousin has owned a bonsai tree at some point, gotten their feet wet, and then got turned off when they learn the have to water every day.

It's nice to be able to share your passions with the ignorant. Every now and again they take a serious interest and let you take them to dinner to talk about it. :D

What martial art do you practice? I hold a brown belt in taekwondo

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What martial art do you practice? I hold a brown belt in taekwondo

4th Dan (Kukkiwon) in TKD. Part owner and head instructor of a family-owned school. Good stuff man. Do you do tae geuks? pal gwe? Chang hon? (what's your first form that is?)

Flying Side Kick.jpg

Top Bottom