Just Dug Up Chinese Fringe Flower Loropetalum Advise

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
My girlfriend's parents are redoing their landscape and no longer wanted this tree. So I grabbed the shovel and dug it out. Wrapped up the roots and purchased a concrete mixing tub. Got home and planted it immediately. It looked a little droopy yesterday but responded well to watering. Their house was built 38 years ago and I'd imagine the tree is from original landscape. Guessing about 40 years old. Once I watered it and washed old soil away, I noticed an old saw mark on the smaller trunk. It goes about halfway through the trunk unfortunately. It can only be seen on on side. Not really sure what to do about this. Perhaps some carving further down the road? The cut can be seen in one of the photos. Other than that, seems to have decent structure and a wide base. Not much of a nebari as our ground is mainly sand. Surprised it had as many roots close to the trunk as it did. Other than crossing fingers in hopes that it lives, any thoughts on the saw mark? Or should I just use the other side as a front? The side with the saw mark is the first picture. Saw mark is 2nd pic and is about 3/4 of the way up the first branch/smaller trunk. Or is the tree even worth the effort?0603182141a.jpg0606182114.jpg0606182115.jpg

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My girlfriend's parents are redoing their landscape and no longer wanted this tree. So I grabbed the shovel and dug it out. Wrapped up the roots and purchased a concrete mixing tub. Got home and planted it immediately. It looked a little droopy yesterday but responded well to watering. Their house was built 38 years ago and I'd imagine the tree is from original landscape. Guessing about 40 years old. Once I watered it and washed old soil away, I noticed an old saw mark on the smaller trunk. It goes about halfway through the trunk unfortunately. It can only be seen on on side. Not really sure what to do about this. Perhaps some carving further down the road? The cut can be seen in one of the photos. Other than that, seems to have decent structure and a wide base. Not much of a nebari as our ground is mainly sand. Surprised it had as many roots close to the trunk as it did. Other than crossing fingers in hopes that it lives, any thoughts on the saw mark? Or should I just use the other side as a front? The side with the saw mark is the first picture. Saw mark is 2nd pic and is about 3/4 of the way up the first branch/smaller trunk. Or is the tree even worth the effort?View attachment 195606View attachment 195607View attachment 195608
Did you drill holes in the tub for drainage?

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@JoeH is in FL and is good with these, may be able to point you in the right direction (I've killed two of them and am gun-shy w/ the species now....my 2nd was killed by error but the 1st was something I would've sworn would make it but didn't)

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Oh and re the saw-cut:
I can't tell if you can anchor that trunk but if you can, spray water to clear-out anything in the gap and then anchor / pull the cut closed / wrap with gardener's tape, it may fuse itself closed that way *if* it's still living ie if the cambium on either side of the cut hasn't died-back too far (how is the foliage growth on the top-half of that branch?), in any case though I'd just wrap it in hopes of it fusing through future growth as you'll certainly be 'pushing growth' to develop new primaries w/ such a drastically cut trunk-line (good trunk-line, just drastic- am jealous, that is a beautiful piece of stock!)

The soil looks like it'd retain tons of moisture and I'm worried it may not drain so well, JoeH can tell you more in that regard though because I'm unsure how loropetalum deal w/ excess moisture (a bald cypress would like that mix, a bougainvillea would probably get water-logged and look ill), what is the mix? Does it have actual dirt/soil, was it sifted for fines before use or are there fine particles throughout it?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just wound up with one of these so I am also interested in culture and advice for care. I like oddball species, especially if they flower. Will hope that @JoeH shares his knowledge with us.

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
The wood is pretty hard and won't heal where the old cut is. But you can carve it and it will hold the deadwood pretty well even in Fl. I've got a couple still - I had like 20 or so but passed them on to folks since they are cheap and easily found or replaced. They like to stay a bit moist but not wet. They respond well to pruning but are super twiggy and likes to shed twigs so wiring isn't as effective. They do well in most light situations. I've kept them in dappled and full florida sun. Dappled light will hold the red color longer.

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
Oh and re the saw-cut:
I can't tell if you can anchor that trunk but if you can, spray water to clear-out anything in the gap and then anchor / pull the cut closed / wrap with gardener's tape, it may fuse itself closed that way *if* it's still living ie if the cambium on either side of the cut hasn't died-back too far (how is the foliage growth on the top-half of that branch?), in any case though I'd just wrap it in hopes of it fusing through future growth as you'll certainly be 'pushing growth' to develop new primaries w/ such a drastically cut trunk-line (good trunk-line, just drastic- am jealous, that is a beautiful piece of stock!)

The soil looks like it'd retain tons of moisture and I'm worried it may not drain so well, JoeH can tell you more in that regard though because I'm unsure how loropetalum deal w/ excess moisture (a bald cypress would like that mix, a bougainvillea would probably get water-logged and look ill), what is the mix? Does it have actual dirt/soil, was it sifted for fines before use or are there fine particles throughout it?
Thanks SU2. I drill about 20+ 3/8" holes in the bottom. It's a basic potting mix. Dries out fairly fast. Not sure about cambium on either side yet. Lots of small branches/twigs above the saw mark. Nothing below it. I've only had one other of these. It croaked. Too much shade and lots of rain last year. I'll definitely keep my eye on the moisture level. It's under my porch right now recovering. Gets filtered light half the day (morning). I'm not doing anything to it right now. Maybe in a couple years. Just light pruning here and there.

But first thing is having it live. I've read early spring is when to transplant. But I had no choice. It was now or it ending up in the burn pile. I just looked at it when I got home. Nothing is drooping. So maybe it has a fighting chance. Lots of delicate tips. I'd imagine they'd be the first to show any signs of problems.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The wood is pretty hard and won't heal where the old cut is. But you can carve it and it will hold the deadwood pretty well even in Fl. I've got a couple still - I had like 20 or so but passed them on to folks since they are cheap and easily found or replaced. They like to stay a bit moist but not wet. They respond well to pruning but are super twiggy and likes to shed twigs so wiring isn't as effective. They do well in most light situations. I've kept them in dappled and full florida sun. Dappled light will hold the red color longer.
Thanks!!!

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
hey, thanks for the love. :) So far I have dug up five decent sized ones, 2 in February when they were starting to bud back out, 3 more recently and all are doing well, budding out. I would take all that tall stuff off and bring it all in tight to the main trunks, just cut above a dormant bud and it will bud back out. I'm keeping them in light shade for the summer. Water isn't an issue, I just water when we don't get any rain, which is rare this year. May was really wet and a few of my ilex have black spot and dropped the bad leaves

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
Ok so I found one a bench on the side yard that's a bit neglected. So I grabbed it threw a quick trim and 2 pcs of wire. That's about all there is on these. The branches are really brittle so just slight bends and kinda always looks a bit shrub-like, but the color is nice in the garden. Especially here in Florida where its usually just green everywhere. I'm not a huge fan of these but I have made these for several people who like them - mostly bc of the color. The dead branch is still pretty hard after about 4 yrs and its never been treated. These are available pretty good sized at every landscape nursery in my area for cheap. And I'm super surprised about anyone having trouble with these. These fall into the 'I can't kill it' group of trees for me in my area. If I wanted to defoliate the large green leaves now it would throw fresh red growth.

20180607_171646.jpg20180607_172850.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
hey, thanks for the love. :) So far I have dug up five decent sized ones, 2 in February when they were starting to bud back out, 3 more recently and all are doing well, budding out. I would take all that tall stuff off and bring it all in tight to the main trunks, just cut above a dormant bud and it will bud back out. I'm keeping them in light shade for the summer. Water isn't an issue, I just water when we don't get any rain, which is rare this year. May was really wet and a few of my ilex have black spot and dropped the bad leaves
Have you had any luck healing wounds on these? @choppychoppy said they heal poorly. I have one large wound on the one I have.

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks @JoeH. About how far back should I cut?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ok so I found one a bench on the side yard that's a bit neglected. So I grabbed it threw a quick trim and 2 pcs of wire. That's about all there is on these. The branches are really brittle so just slight bends and kinda always looks a bit shrub-like, but the color is nice in the garden. Especially here in Florida where its usually just green everywhere. I'm not a huge fan of these but I have made these for several people who like them - mostly bc of the color. The dead branch is still pretty hard after about 4 yrs and its never been treated. These are available pretty good sized at every landscape nursery in my area for cheap. And I'm super surprised about anyone having trouble with these. These fall into the 'I can't kill it' group of trees for me in my area. If I wanted to defoliate the large green leaves now it would throw fresh red growth.

View attachment 195712View attachment 195713
Actually we don't have them here so it's a bit of a exotic, and that's always fun.

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
acquiring some more of these next week

Collecting, not buying, I'm guessing? Are they real common around you? I honestly don't see these guys that often, I wonder if they don't like it by the coast as much (you're much more inland if I'm recalling correctly?) Can't wait to get a mature loropetalum, someday it'll happen lol, the opportunities to get a good mature one are so rare for me :/

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
Collecting, not buying, I'm guessing? Are they real common around you? I honestly don't see these guys that often, I wonder if they don't like it by the coast as much (you're much more inland if I'm recalling correctly?) Can't wait to get a mature loropetalum, someday it'll happen lol, the opportunities to get a good mature one are so rare for me :/
Of course collecting. :) Where I work is lousy with them and they are tearing down a building so I am trying for a few more.

Reactions: SU2

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Awesomeness :) Do you often get access to tear-down 'yardadori'? Am growing increasingly jealous of professional landscapers, renovators etc who have frequent access to mature yardadori stock, it's insane to think of how much perfect materials must get torn out of the ground and thrown-out every day...

Good luck w/ the new ones, such a beautiful species those crimson-red/purplish leaves are amazing!!

Top Bottom