Just felt like sharing my azalea bonsai

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
1st pic is 20th may , next picture is 24th june , final pic is today . Really seems to of exploded with new growth in last week since feeding . With liquid fert .

Love how this one grows 👌😁

Attachments

• 20200520_210000.jpg
    20200520_210000.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 20200624_203309.jpg
    20200624_203309.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 20200710_211131.jpg
    20200710_211131.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 74
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I bought it as a satsuki azalea I'm not sure the exact cultivar to be honest . Yes she's enjoying the top shelf in 50/50 sun shade, I moved all my trees from south facing to round the corner so it's more south-east so they stop getting sun at around 3pm and they all seem to be doing better for it ...
I wouldn't say i lived in a notorious high wind area but for some reason in my garden it gets quite breezy as its open and these pots are so easily tipped !

Last edited:

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Don’t forget to style it while the branches are soft. When they get woody it’s more difficult

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for sharing! Enjoy your new tree. I would like to grow these, but that would be one too many "winter zones" I need to provide!! 🥶

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
. Really seems to of exploded with new growth in last week since feeding

It's more likely new growth is due to the Solstice and Summer dormancy passing, and the tree entering into another period of growth.

Of course, I haven't watched an azalea do more than die, but figuring these cause and effects wrong can be quite detrimental.

Sorce

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's more likely new growth is due to the Solstice and Summer dormancy passing, and the tree entering into another period of growth.

Of course, I haven't watched an azalea do more than die, but figuring these cause and effects wrong can be quite detrimental.

Sorce
Interesting! I was thinking we are just entering summer dormancy in my loc because we seem to be getting into the hottest time of year.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting! I was thinking we are just entering summer dormancy in my loc because we seem to be getting into the hottest time of year.

I'm sure it varies, I want to say mine started about a month ago, it seems everything will be growing again within a couple weeks.

Some overlap. Pruning effects it. Species. Etc.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hottest time of year

Big note, temperature has less to do with it than Sun Position.

Same as in spring and fall.

Position first. Temperature Next.

These are the determining factors.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

Sorce

Ahh well spotted maybe you're right ! I'm glad that the fert didn't harm the plant aswell though

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ahh well spotted maybe you're right ! I'm glad that the fert didn't harm the plant aswell though

The only thing I've found harmful is the green balls of death.

It'll be good of we can remember to see what it does next year this week.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The only thing I've found harmful is the green balls of death.

It'll be good of we can remember to see what it does next year this week.

Sorce
Green balls of death ? ?
Sorce, I have to say I love your way with words 🤣👌

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Sorce

Bonponic

Seedling
Reaction score
I have just started some azaleas from seed. They are very ver slow. Do they have to have winter exposure, or can I keep them indoors? Yours is beautiful.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I am very new to all this but I'll give my ten pence ,
My understanding is that azalea are semi evergreen and can handle quite low temperatures (not sure how low) , but I believe down to minus temps in Celsius Also need a little dormancy in the winter.
I'm not sure what hardiness zone you're in but growing outside is better than inside , as its tough to replicate the outdoor climate . If you have just planted seeds , it may be better in a nice big pot of eracacious compost mixed with perlite outside for a couple of years . Pick all the flower buds off for the 1st 2 years so that the plant puts all its energy into vegative growth and develops a thicker trunk .
There is countless threads in the flowering section including azalea where you'll get better advice than from a newb like me .
Just be sure to add your hardiness zone to your profile and I'm sure ppl will chime in with more detailed advice for your plants .

Bonponic

Seedling
Reaction score
I will look into that. I’m not even sure what hardiness zone I’m in. I grow mostly tropical a indoors.

Top Bottom