Just for fun!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OK since I had my little tirade about the net and doing research in everything one should buy, lets look at some different things that while not bonsai, will be instructive about how to purchase something and how to do the research. This will also apply to bonsai and they way one should go about looking for material.

Key word- Provenance:
Provenance, from the French provenir, "to come from", refers to the chronology of the ownership or location of a historical object.

Here we have six ancient coins:

Top left- Olbia Dolphin Money 600 BC Some of the first man made money on earth.
Top Center- Augustus Ceasar 27BC to 14AD First Roman emporor, loved by the plebes.
Top Right- Nero 54AD to 68AD Persecuted the Jews for burning Rome. Built a huge palace over the ashes, murdered his step brother, his Mother and his pregnant wife. Not very well liked by the plebes.
Bottom Left- Hadrian 117AD to 138AD Builder of a great wall in Northern England. Very well liked by the troops and the plebes. Dupondius coin in very very good condition. Fully legible lettering and struck very well centered. An exquistite coin, nice thin patina.
Bottom Center- Elagabalus 218 AD to 222AD Part of the Severan Dynasty. A Orichalcum coin, nice portrait and a real character. Of Syrian decent, not very popular with the plebes and was assinated by his own Preatorian Guards.
Bottom Right- Maximinus II 305AD to 312AD Another foreigner Emporor from Dacia. Reopened persecution of the Christians after a period of tolerance. A really nice coin with amazing detail for 1800 years old. Great patina and nicely centered for handstruck coins on an anvil.

So....here is the challange. You have $14.00 to spend. Each coin is for sale for $14.00, meaning you can only purchase one. Which coin is going to give you the best bang for the buck?

I have had this kind of experience many times at conventions. Maybe a $1000.00 budget and about $4000.00 I want to purchase. I have to make my 1K count, so I have to purchase the best values I can.

Have fun with this, be an ametuer sleuth and peruse the internet for clues. Go to ancient coin forums, there are about a gazillion. Which one will people pick? when you do pick one, give the reason why, there is no wrong answer, its all in fun.....except when I buy!

I have a few more games to play if this is desirable.

Attachments

• DSCF000200014.JPG
    DSCF000200014.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 29

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very interesting. I will spend the time if you will teach me
?????

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would guess the Nero coin would be the most valuable based on the description, but there are a lot of other details not covered in the description that would probably have a bigger impact on worth,such as rarity. How many struck and how many survived until today? With collectibles like this, and perhaps bonsai, there is a lot of personal preference to take in to account too. Ultimately, something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay.

I am interested in hearing your assessment.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't have the time or interest on researching coins right now so I will play but based only on the description provided and pic.

I choose Augustus Ceasar due to age and his popularity
Top Center- Augustus Ceasar 27BC to 14AD First Roman emporor, loved by the plebes.

...or Elagabalus for the opposite reason and his short term.
Bottom Center- Elagabalus 218 AD to 222AD Part of the Severan Dynasty. A Orichalcum coin, nice portrait and a real character. Of Syrian decent, not very popular with the plebes and was assinated by his own Preatorian Guards.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think his point is to do the research so you find the best one.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think his point is to do the research so you find the best one.

I know, but as I mentioned, it is not a subject I want to spend time on so I just went with what my gut told me to choose.

If it is something I am interested on, I will put as much effort as needed to get the right info...and learn.

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1st I would go with rarity
2nd would be a coin that has value across many collecting areas.
*IE Nero would be big with sociopaths, Hadrian with masons etc...
3rd I would go with quality

So I ass-ume Elagabalus was not well like and not long at power and has rare coinsas a result. I also ass-ume the "Orichalcum" is either a distinguished shape or material increasing rarity. Then he was syrian and that adds value...

I will google it and see how far I am off then come back with a new opinion

Top Bottom