Just getting rolling...

thatguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Some months back during the whole pandemic business I came across Peter Chan's YouTube channel. At first it was just his calm and relaxing voice that drew me in mixed with some beautiful trees/scenery. However, the brain worm of bonsai began creeping into my head until I couldn't ignore it. Started researching, learning, reading. To my surprise there was a ton of information out there about bonsai! Hah imagine that? Started devouring blogs, Hagedorn, Valvanis, Pall, Tea, watching more videos, gathering up books on the subject.

I also took my first forays to nurseries and big box stores, then made a jump to a semi local bonsai nursery...sweet mana from heaven! Spoke with a helpful employee and picked out a fairly big shimpaku juniper and a dwarf jade that I couldn't say no to. Had the good fortune to make a phone call to a closer bonsai nursery that seemed to be dormant, only to find that the owner had just moved and would be happy to show me around the place. I've been going there every week for four weeks now learning tons and also acquiring trees. I figure some variety will help me learn more! Mainly sticking to primarily deciduous varieties and junipers for now. Though I have my eye on some EWP to collect from a local spot...

Here's a pic of the current bench. Built it a few weekends ago but already needing some more space! Aussie shep mix for scale haha

Cheers!
thatguy

Attachments

• 20200823_191429.jpg
    20200823_191429.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 59

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Your collection looks good. No matter how many benches I build you never have enough room. Not sure where you are in NH but you might want to search out a local club. I believe there is a north shore ma club. My club meets on the MA/RI border but we have a member or two from.NH.

one_bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
I like what you've done. Bonsai is a steep learning curve, the sooner you can get stuck in styling, wiring, root pruning etc, the sooner you'll acquire the necessary skills and experience.

thatguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Your collection looks good. No matter how many benches I build you never have enough room. Not sure where you are in NH but you might want to search out a local club. I believe there is a north shore ma club. My club meets on the MA/RI border but we have a member or two from.NH.

Thank you! The trident maples will be going into a large forest planting in about 4 weeks. No local clubs up here in NH, but we will be trying to build up some community over time. I've heard about the north shore ma club. Didn't realize there was one down in MA/RI! Will have to swing down one of these days to say hello and learn.

I like what you've done. Bonsai is a steep learning curve, the sooner you can get stuck in styling, wiring, root pruning etc, the sooner you'll acquire the necessary skills and experience.

That was my thought as well. Need to get wiring the big and small shimpaku. Just got a lesson on pruning tonight so should be good to go. Appreciate the comment!

Nice dog.

Thanks! Same to you :)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No local clubs up here in NH, but we will be trying to build up some community over time.
start making some noise about looking for people doing bonsai.
I am currently in a city of about 50k people and have found another 6 persons doing bonsai, and I am sure there must be more.

and also acquiring trees.
beware of just filling your benches with loads of young trees!

thatguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
start making some noise about looking for people doing bonsai.
I am currently in a city of about 50k people and have found another 6 persons doing bonsai, and I am sure there must be more.

beware of just filling your benches with loads of young trees!

Will be trying to drum up some people most assuredly! And agree on the young trees. I don't mind being patient and growing them out, but also balancing that with having something to work on now!

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
nice! southcoast MA, here

nice white oaks

keep an eye for pitch pines in the northeast vs white pine (not common for bonsai and possibly difficult...i have a ton around me as well
and still might try to run one)

thatguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
nice! southcoast MA, here

nice white oaks

keep an eye for pitch pines in the northeast vs white pine (not common for bonsai and possibly difficult...i have a ton around me as well
and still might try to run one)

Funny you mention pitch pines...Just was talking with my bonsai guide about them last night. He recommended trying to hunt one down up north a bit!

Thanks for the compliment on the oaks. They are valley oaks from Brent over at Evergreen Garden Works in CA. They had a rough transit but are hanging on. Next year assuming they get healthier/stronger I am going to try and drill three holes in a piece of tile, thread em through, go for a fused trunk clump!

Always nice to meet someone semi local :)

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Funny you mention pitch pines...Just was talking with my bonsai guide about them last night. He recommended trying to hunt one down up north a bit!

Thanks for the compliment on the oaks. They are valley oaks from Brent over at Evergreen Garden Works in CA. They had a rough transit but are hanging on. Next year assuming they get healthier/stronger I am going to try and drill three holes in a piece of tile, thread em through, go for a fused trunk clump!

Always nice to meet someone semi local :)
thatll be a unique oak, good luck

Top Bottom