Just getting started here.

dacoontz

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello all, new to this site and relatively new to Bonsai. Been collecting for a year or so now. Recently acquired this Boulevard Cypress from a fellow Bonsai enthusiast with much more experience who acquired it from another which more experience than both of us combined. Thought I’d share and get people’s thoughts.

For now I’m just trying to make sure I keep this thing thriving and get ready to repot in the Spring. I’d like to develop/refine the individual pads a bit more but this sucker grows pretty quick.

Sorry about the background, need to get some better pics eventually.

A22DC106-E9D3-45DB-A658-1CD183F2D830.jpeg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Normally, I would advise people to not acquire really nice trees too early in their training period. Boulevard Cypress are not easy to keep or to style, and you have a big one. You need to describe your property's exposure, and maybe post some pictures of the landscape you have access to for winter and for the next growing seasons. If you are not in the south, it's pretty late to be putting this to bed for the winter.

dacoontz

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the replies. I live in the Medford Oregon area. Still feels like Fall here but having the occasional cold nights. This puppy stays underneath cover on my deck for the time being. I do have a “cold frame” for my other bonsai that’s is essentially what I call my bonsai house wrapped in plastic, I’ll try to add a picture.

Backyard is my bonsai habitat, a bit of shade and sun depending on the angle of the sun. Summers here get hot and dry while winters are cold and wet. Still trying to figure out the nuisances of watering, shade/light, and soil/substrate.

I’ve lurked on here quite a bit picking up knowledge here and there. I have an abundance of bonsai resource in this area so I’m blessed in that regard. Recently bonsai has become a bit of an obsession. Anxious for the spring, lots of work to be done I’d imagine.

Attachments

• 150C8451-4BF0-4A7A-8414-4AD2625662A5.jpeg
    150C8451-4BF0-4A7A-8414-4AD2625662A5.jpeg
    256.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 3E29525F-306B-4E37-8609-5A4ECD6A03A3.jpeg
    3E29525F-306B-4E37-8609-5A4ECD6A03A3.jpeg
    287.7 KB · Views: 32

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Nice start man!

If you haven't already, definitely ask the guy you got it from how he wintered it.

Oh. Why you think it need repotting? Substrate doesn't look "mounded" from roots pushing it up the pot. Water drained slowly?

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Welcome to the addiction, nice looking tree and a great start.
Cheers from further up the west coast......

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm going to cede wintering advice here to an Oregonian.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice start for sure. Any of use would love to have it though I don't particularly care for the Boulevard. This one looks very healthy but they can get pretty ratty fairly quickly if you let them go.
I think the plant is a bit off balance for my taste. It is a bit heavy on the right side. I would probably remove the two smallest pads on the far right .... but that is just me.

Top Bottom