Just got 2 Mugo pines from my local garden center for a price I couldn’t refuse

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Was in my local garden center yesterday, and saw the clearance section, got 2 mugo pine one gallon container size for $5.00 each. Asked why they were on clearance, and they said just because they were left from last year. Got 2 of them, and after watching a couple you tube videos from Heron’s...... thinking about getting one in the 3 gallon size pot, however that is not on sale. Seem to be cool trees.

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Was in my local garden center yesterday, and saw the clearance section, got 2 mugo pine one gallon container size for $5.00 each. Asked why they were on clearance, and they said just because they were left from last year. Got 2 of them, and after watching a couple you tube videos from Heron’s...... thinking about getting one in the 3 gallon size pot, however that is not on sale. Seem to be cool trees.
Leaving us hanging with no pictures??

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice! I love finding neat material on sale because the box stores don't see the "Bonsai Value" or the tree within the tree.

I bought a bunch of mugos last fall. They are fun little trees. Check out the "All aboard the mugo train thread". There is also a compilation of Vance Woods's threads on mugos which is an invaluable. resource.

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here's the thread:

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You got lucky with those, I can’t seem to find good ones that aren’t clumps. Good find!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wait.. What are these plants priced at regularly? Just for my own reference of course.. Over here there's tons of mugo going for 3-5 euros.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Here in South Tejas you won't really find them except at maybe a specialty nursery, and the one time I found, it was like 50 usd for Mugo Bush, maybe too old to be properly trained as bonsai. Coincidently they were dead the next time I visited said nursery.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here in South Tejas you won't really find them except at maybe a specialty nursery, and the one time I found, it was like 50 usd for Mugo Bush, maybe too old to be properly trained as bonsai. Coincidently they were dead the next time I visited said nursery.
That’s not surprizing. Compare your climate to where Mugo are native: Northern Europe and the Alps.

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hopefully in about a year or two I will have a few hundred for anyone who is looking for a more bonsai trained mugo!

This is just one row

Attachments

• mugo.jpg
    mugo.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 46
Top Bottom