Joshuaskwarek

Sapling
Reaction score
I got this tree about two weeks ago from our local garden center I just wanted to make sure everything looked all right the tree almost looks dead but leafs are starting to show but no current budding currently watering every other day and keeping relative humidity around 50% at 65 to 68° just wanted to make sure everything looked all right currently using a small LED and humidifier during the day and also getting around one hour A real sunlight a day also, I wanted to make sure the root system in the soil looked OK because I feel like too much of the root ball and system is exposed should I repot? Also, It is winter here in Colorado and I am curious to see if I should fertilize now and wait until spring till next fertilization thank you so much for all of your help and support!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 26

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Yep, that looks like a parrots beak, Gmelia. Looks like it was stressed about living in a big box store, then moving to a house in the middle of winter. It should recover just fine, once spring gets here. Don't repot now, just "top up" the pot with a little bonsai mix. Repot in spring, after it warms up around there.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’d keep all of those roots above ground covered. Awhile ago I had a similar root exposed situation. No photos though. I simple put the entire pot in a larger container...in my case a wooden box with drainage. I buried the pot low in the box....filled the box with a finer bonsai substrate (okay, I used Turface. Not expensive but held moisture for the roots)...so the substrate covered the pot and the roots fully and then watered as usual...tree, roots and pot. This created a higher new substrate surface. Any larger container with enough depth would have worked...I just had extra boxes available. So....I did container-in-container....sort of like submersion in substrate to keep the roots from drying out.

Top Bottom