Just got my first bonsai, Duranta Repens, care?

Bonsailover45

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello. I just got my first bonsai, a duranta repens. Which i belive is a tropical plant? I only get results from duranta erecta when googling, is this the same?
Also im wondering if the plant needs different care since its grown as a bonsai, or can i just follow the general care of this plant.
Where can i find good information about this indoor?

Thanks very much for the help on these noobie questions.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hello. I just got my first bonsai, a duranta repens. Which i belive is a tropical plant? I only get results from duranta erecta when googling, is this the same?
Also im wondering if the plant needs different care since its grown as a bonsai, or can i just follow the general care of this plant.
Where can i find good information about this indoor?

Thanks very much for the help on these noobie questions.
Yes, it needs to be given species-specific care, and the special care of a bonsai. That's why we usually start with something easy right after we kill our first attempt.

If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you.

Bonsailover45

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks. Im from scandinavia. Im having huge trouble finding indoor bonsai specific care of this exact plant.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I suspect that Scandinavia is too general, please go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you. A city or province would be more helpful.

<<<<< It will show here.

Reaction score
Thanks. Im from scandinavia. Im having huge trouble finding indoor bonsai specific care of this exact plant.
You won’t find because this is not an indoor species (if there is such a thing). It is an outdoor tropical plant. Probably not the best option for Scandinavia.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I can't find my earlier posting of fig varieties, so here are some that you can look at and find one that you like the looks of. Note, they are all easy houseplants with a window other than north facing. Listed here from smallest leaves to largest leaves... South African Fig...
FBD 20160828_125532.jpg
'Too Little' variegated Fig in a window box pot...
FT wf 2020_0811 edit.jpg
'Too Little' Fig forest...
FTL f 2020_0111Edit0003.JPG
'Too Little' var. 'Dutch Treat' Fig...
FDT L 2019_1218Edit0032.JPG
Willowleaf Fig...
FW 102305.JPG
Oriental Fig...
12 Struhar Ficus orientalis.JPG
Tigerbark Fig...
13 Struhar Ficus microcarpa 'Tigerbark'.JPG
Green Island Fig...
AABS Bonsai Show 2019-045.5.JPG
Green Mound Fig (left)... Green Island Fig (right...
2018_0821AABSshow20180010.JPG
Golden Benjamina Fig...
7 Struhar Ficus benjamina 'Golden Benjamin'.JPG
And there are more. All easy in Norway with one window not facing north.

Bonsailover45

Seedling
Reaction score
Beautiful pictures.
So are you guys saying it will not survive indoors? It was sold as indoor bonsai, pretty expensive.

"Note, they are all easy houseplants with a window other than north facing" - Do they have to stay at window ledge, or can they be placed at a table on the side of the window? And how far away from any heaters? (as they're usually placed under the windows)

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The closer to light the better. Temps should be fairly constant without big changes or strong breezes. Don't set it on heat register. Shield it with a deflector from a forced air heat vent. Size matters, big plants are harder to place close to a window. Shape of pot matters, too, round takes up more space than rectangles of the same volume (in this case). Get a clear idea of what size you want to shop for, beforehand.

Bonsailover45

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips.

Do you guys belive it will die indoors as this tropical plant is not suited for Scandinavia indoor climate?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I can't find my earlier posting of fig varieties, so here are some that you can look at and find one that you like the looks of. Note, they are all easy houseplants with a window other than north facing. Listed here from smallest leaves to largest leaves... South African Fig...
View attachment 355028
'Too Little' variegated Fig in a window box pot...
View attachment 355029
'Too Little' Fig forest...
View attachment 355030
'Too Little' var. 'Dutch Treat' Fig...
View attachment 355031
Willowleaf Fig...
View attachment 355034
Oriental Fig...
View attachment 355036
Tigerbark Fig...
View attachment 355037
Green Island Fig...
View attachment 355038
Green Mound Fig (left)... Green Island Fig (right...
View attachment 355040
Golden Benjamina Fig...
View attachment 355039
And there are more. All easy in Norway with one window not facing north.
That TigerBark is top notch. I’m also interested in the South African fig.. that foliage is great.

Well Done!!!

🤓

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Is that(South African) a Sycamore Fig..

Or a cyathistipula
I'm pretty sure they have them at Meehan's miniatures. As "Burt Davyi," which I'm assuming is a different spelling of burt davii? I could be waaaaaay off base though as the foliage in the photo at meehan's site is a little different. Feel free to correct me as I also dig that.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I flip flop back and forth on spellink Burtt. Sometimes its's right. It is a Wigerts tree I picked out myself about 2011 or so. I denude at least once a year so the foliage is smaller than the type. The tree is about 10" tall from the bench.

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Seems like repens is the former name for erecta. If you want to keep it in your climate you probably want to get artificial lighting for the long portion of the year where it can't be outside. People are instead suggesting alternatives like ficus that will grow with less light and heat. I think also if you search Duranta on this forum, some other people have grown this species.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's not a bad species, it's demanding of heat and light. I tried one 20 years ago and it declined over winter to nada. I like the leaf and I like the gold color, but I live in a cloudy-in-winter place and I'm not willing to delve into the lights routine because I have many plants of all sizes and it gets too complicated. Grow them in anyplace you can buy them in local nurseries. They are underused for no good reason other than in those places you can grow lots of things with nice flowers and people make choices based upon what is common in bonsai.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This IS super frustrating.. bringing certain lights DOWN... certain plants UP.. making stupid little half-tables.. 🤣
...do I still do it?.. yes!
(Part of My indoor “warm room” ... see...looks like HELL!((but my plants DO love me a LOT)))EBC76D3B-D3BC-4C75-88AC-303008A9A143.jpeg

...in 15 years...... we’ll see...

I’ll make my lil’ cultivars do it.

🤣

Top Bottom