Just got my first bonsai, Duranta Repens, care?

Bonsailover45

Seedling
Reaction score
Yes, it needs to be given species-specific care, and the special care of a bonsai. That's why we usually start with something easy right after we kill our first attempt.

If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you.
Thanks for great advice guys.

Why does it need spesial care of bonsai? And does it vary much from the species care as a regular plant?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
All bonsai need to be watered in accordance with their needs. Sounds trite, but they have their own needs which are often quite different from other plants. I suspect, but don't know, that Duranta needs to cycle between wet, dry, wet, dry, but I can't say how wet or how dry. Someone who has one should fill in that blank. The media mix, same thing, and light requirements, same thing. I had one that didn't do well indoors, so I am not an authority. Bump this post from time to time until you get answers.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
...do I still do it?.. yes!
(Part of My indoor “warm room” ... see...looks like HELL!((but my plants DO love me a LOT)))View attachment 355551

...in 15 years...... we’ll see...

I’ll make my lil’ cultivars do it.

🤣
Next time I get the side eye from my better half about my growing setup, I'm going to show her this photo. And then tell her there are more lights on the way 🤷‍♂️

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
...do I still do it?.. yes!
(Part of My indoor “warm room” ... see...looks like HELL!((but my plants DO love me a LOT)))View attachment 355551

...in 15 years...... we’ll see...

I’ll make my lil’ cultivars do it.

🤣
And I thought taking up two window sills and having a stool under a LED was a lot. 😅

Bonsailover45

Seedling
Reaction score
All bonsai need to be watered in accordance with their needs. Sounds trite, but they have their own needs which are often quite different from other plants. I suspect, but don't know, that Duranta needs to cycle between wet, dry, wet, dry, but I can't say how wet or how dry. Someone who has one should fill in that blank. The media mix, same thing, and light requirements, same thing. I had one that didn't do well indoors, so I am not an authority. Bump this post from time to time until you get answers.
I find it interesting. Is it because the bonsai uses more energy than their plant variation due to its thicker trunk or something?

And is it the same with real(outside) bonsai. Do they require bonsai specific treatment compared to their real sizes trees?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I find it interesting. Is it because the bonsai uses more energy than their plant variation due to its thicker trunk or something?

And is it the same with real(outside) bonsai. Do they require bonsai specific treatment compared to their real sizes trees?
No, let's start again. All bonsai are entirely dependent upon the caregiver for everything. A pot drys out completely in under a day with high temps, dark colored pots faster than light colored pots. In the ground, the whole mass of the surrounding soil takes many days or weeks to dry out completely, so plants in the landscape live with moisture tapering-off comparatively slowly. The difference in the cycle is night and day. Some plants need to dry out, others need to never dry out. We refer to the latter as, "I dry, I die" and these plants are not good for beginners. Other plants can be soaking wet, even in a dish of water routinely, and like it just fine. Some plants like figs are bulletproof and can go both ways. Most plants need a regular cycle of wet, dry, wet, dry, where they don't sit in a pool of water for long, and they don't stay bone dry for very long either. You must know what kind of conditions your each of your plants need in order to give them all what's right for each individual. The same variations apply to light, temperature, feeding, trimming, repotting, et al.

Top Bottom