Just got these.

tnaz71

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was on my way home from work & saw a yard sale & spotted some plants so I could'nt not stop. Anyways they had these sitting there with a price tag for $3 each. The person that sold them said they were black pines, unsure if they are but they look to be. For 3 bucks I figured that it was cheap enough to experiment on these.

Once I got home & have a closer look at them I am sort of at a loss as to what I can do. So before I touch these I figured I would ask all of you on your opinion.

The first one pictured I am at a complete loss.. Remove the oversized lower branch i think & possibly the other. There are small branches in the back that could be used as a eventual new leader.

The one with the jin I think would look good if I worked the jin some maybe shorten it? The leader has a weird curve that doesnt fit the tree much so removing the jin completely would bring more attention to that. The trunk is actually nice just need to work on the live vein some to make it look better

Attachments

• IMAG1497.jpg
    IMAG1497.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 128
  • IMAG1499.jpg
    IMAG1499.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMAG1496.jpg
    IMAG1496.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow, $3 is pretty damn good. I think you can do something with those trees, but that one tree with the swirling jin on the trunk might be an interesting challenge. You'll have to find a way to make that more natural.

Their needles and growth habit look like JBP to me, but the bark looks a bit like JRP.

tnaz71

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Promise not to laugh to much at my art skills, but this is what I was thinking for the one with the jin. The black color on the drawing is the jin & the darker area will basically be carved out. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• jbp concept.jpg
    jbp concept.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 53

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I actually like the concept in your drawing.

I can't give advice on how to preserve wood, and I'm not fond of that overly emphasized white jin found on many bonsai. It's beautiful, but it looks too artificial for my taste.

What I would do is let that jin be exposed to as much direct sunlight as possible. When I'm at the top of a mountain, the pines and spruces often have this amazing bone white jin, which I believe have been bleached by constant sun. I've always wanted to mimic that in bonsai.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with these.

Last edited:
Top Bottom