Just how important is Kanuma to satsuki

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well...I have had this tree since 2015...not repotting it. Even ironite didn't seem to help this last two seasons of its really yellowing. (Its fall color is yellow but it was the wrong shade before heading into fall.)

Repotted without allowing to bloom. (Just noticed one bud that got away from me and is going to bloom)

Removed all wire

Found mealybugs hidden in under wiring...may also been reason for weakening.

Up potted into fresh substrate and watered in and seen green moving into the foliage as I did this.

So a boost of acidic substrate goes a long way. Even the neagari satuski has much darker leaves from yesterday's repot.

20180508_090410.jpg20180508_090601.jpg20180508_090818.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I would say it's not hugely important as long as you're supplementing the soil to accommodate the acidic requirements of azaleas.
What do you think is the best mix/ratio soil mix for azaleas? (not trying to hijack your thread Darlene)

Reactions: Vin

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would say it's not hugely important as long as you're supplementing the soil to accommodate the acidic requirements of azaleas.
I had been using ironite...mealy bugs may have contributed more than I thought. Noticed them three weeks ago. So they are removed...added in the new repot...
This what I found in the pot.
image.jpg

Reactions: Vin

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just remember it doesn't HAVE to be kanuma. You can acidify your soil a number of ways. However plants can't readily take up iron once pH rises above 7.8, so all the ironite in the world won't help an azalea if pH is 8.0 or higher.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What do you think is the best mix/ratio soil mix for azaleas? (not trying to hijack your thread Darlene)
Oh God, not a soil mix question! ;) I have some in 100% kanuma, some in a 3 part bonsai mix and some in 100% organic. However, none in akadama - yacky! In my area as long as they are draining well and getting the right fertilizer they seem to do just fine.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I had been using ironite...mealy bugs may have contributed more than I thought. Noticed them three weeks ago. So they are removed...added in the new repot...
This what I found in the pot.
View attachment 191117
That looks more like a drainage issue to me. Looks like you had some moss on top that made its way downward. Also, the soil particle size isn't uniform which can contribute to poor drainage.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Oh God, not a soil mix question! ;) I have some in 100% kanuma, some in a 3 part bonsai mix and some in 100% organic. However, none in akadama - yacky! In my area as long as they are draining well and getting the right fertilizer they seem to do just fine.

My bad.:eek: But thanks.

They grow very good in a variety of substrates, myself I use organics and have tried all the others at some point. They do excellent for us if I blend a fast draining mix which I add an equal amount of Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss to. That peat addition keeps them "happy on acid" :p

There are some here like John G who have excellent results with Premium Fafard Potting mix...

If your a purist Kanuma is the only choice BUT a lot of things work just fine!

Myself I prefer a proper organic mix as it is far easier to maintain - related to water and fertilizer. It can be topped with any "nice" looking substrate if one feels a need to have things look more finished.

Grimmy

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
They grow very good in a variety of substrates, myself I use organics and have tried all the others at some point. They do excellent for us if I blend a fast draining mix which I add an equal amount of Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss to. That peat addition keeps them "happy on acid" :p

There are some here like John G who have excellent results with Premium Fafard Potting mix...

If your a purist Kanuma is the only choice BUT a lot of things work just fine!

Myself I prefer a proper organic mix as it is far easier to maintain - related to water and fertilizer. It can be topped with any "nice" looking substrate if one feels a need to have things look more finished.

Grimmy
I know we talked about this. I got the sphagnum moss. Didn't you also mention some pine bark?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I know we talked about this. I got the sphagnum moss. Didn't you also mention some pine bark?

When we dig a large hole in the clay here for ground planting, yes. You are thinking of that conversation :) Potted I normally use equal amounts of Fafard Premium Topsoil, Coarse Silica Sand, and Horticultural Perlite and mix in the Canadian Sphagnum. So if I use 1 cup each of the three I mix in three cups of the Canadian.

Grimmy

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
When we dig a large hole in the clay here for ground planting, yes. You are thinking of that conversation :) Potted I normally use equal amounts of Fafard Premium Topsoil, Coarse Silica Sand, and Horticultural Perlite and mix in the Canadian Sphagnum. So if I use 1 cup each of the three I mix in three cups of the Canadian.

Grimmy
You're right, different conversation. :oops:. I did get the sand and had the Perlite, so I haven't completely lost it!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have 2 azalea in 100% kanuma, 4 azalea in pumice, pine bark, charcoal, peat moss blend. 1 in 50:50 pine bark & peat in a nursery pot. And 1 in blueberry mix = 50:50 pine bark, peat moss, with as a percentage of the blend, 10% hardwood sawdust to feed endo-mycorrhiza.

All look good to great. Each has a different watering schedule which is a pain.

If you water correctly, you can grow them in damn near anything.

I'm using the blueberry blend to bulk up blueberries from plug trays, to eventually plant out in the field. (1100 bushes per acre). Once they are big enough to see between the weeds, they will get planted out.

Top Bottom