Just How Tough Are (Chinese) Elms

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Arguably too late in the season last year, like end of September, my Chinese Elm was getting really overgrown and I cut off about 15-20 whips which I started to try to root. I bundled up 3 sets of 5 each, wired them together and put some bends in them. I just jammed them all in a crappy DE substitute in a large plastic jar and kept them moist. A month later in early Nov. they went in the garage for winter storage and sat in the dark for the next 4 months. About a month ago I pulled them out and re-potted them, put a plastic bag over them and stuck them in a window. One bundle died off completely

Here's all the fresh growth from the last month and now they've gone outside. Hopefully this summer I'll have my first fusions well under way.
IMG_20190401_095239687.jpg

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looking good! Please update throughout the fusion process. Just got my first Chinese elm the other day.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Forgot to add, here's how they looked after being pulled from storage and re-potted. Startling that some leaves held on and were still viable after 4 months in the dark!
IMG_20190224_164449533_HDR.jpg

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Try root cuttings as well, about 1 inch above the soil.
More personality.
Good Day
Anthony

Top Bottom