Just in time for my birthday.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This will be hopefully my last purchase for this year. As a hoarder, I can't just get 1 so I got 2. Also that help to justify the cost of shipping. I already have a few male plants so am hoping to use these as scion to learn how to graft.
@thumblessprimate1, are you up to show me how to graft?

Attachments

• IMG_20180713_064705203.jpg
    IMG_20180713_064705203.jpg
    495.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20180713_064652567.jpg
    IMG_20180713_064652567.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 51

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Watch the sun. At least where I live they are susceptible to sun scorch. Perhaps in Houston, with the humidity, it won't be as much of an issue. How do your males do?

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This will be hopefully my last purchase for this year. As a hoarder, I can't just get 1 so I got 2. Also that help to justify the cost of shipping. I already have a few male plants so am hoping to use these as scion to learn how to graft.
@thumblessprimate1, are you up to show me how to graft?
I just followed @bonhe 's tutorial. I modified how I did it, and maybe it works fine because we have more humidity. Do you have any root stock to practice on? I bet you could head over to jrn nursery and find some rootstock. Some of the persimmons dont make it, but roots survive. They might sell cheap or give it to ya. I haven't grafted persimmon, but it should follow be the same way. Cant say how good I'll be yet. ?

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just followed @bonhe 's tutorial. I modified how I did it, and maybe it works fine because we have more humidity. Do you have any root stock to practice on? I bet you could head over to jrn nursery and find some rootstock. Some of the persimmons dont make it, but roots survive. They might sell cheap or give it to ya. I haven't grafted persimmon, but it should follow be the same way. Cant say how good I'll be yet. ?
Are they even compatible? I assume you are talking about the root stock for edible persimmon. Am really curious about that and wonder if anyone had done that - grafting princess persimmon onto American persimmon. @Leo in N E Illinois do you have any thoughts on that?

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Watch the sun. At least where I live they are susceptible to sun scorch. Perhaps in Houston, with the humidity, it won't be as much of an issue. How do your males do?
They got burnt fairly easily. The leaves dropped but they replaced with new buds. I think they need some shade to not get crispy. They are definitely like a lot of water.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Are they even compatible? I assume you are talking about the root stock for edible persimmon. Am really curious about that and wonder if anyone had done that - grafting princess persimmon onto American persimmon. @Leo in N E Illinois do you have any thoughts on that?
I think mostly lotus persimmon are used, not American. The ones from L E Cooke. Not sure about Dave Wilson or others.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The sun is an issue for sure, my princess persimmon started to turn crispy in a day or two of stronger sun when i moved them up and further out on a bench placement. Edges of the leaves started to turn black and dry out. Back to the Shade and they are happy again.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
For edible persimmons, they use generic seed raised edible persimmons for slower growing edible cultivars, and Diospyros lotus for faster growing cultivars. Saw photos of weird wide diameter scions on narrow diameter root stock demonstrating why one choice was made over another. Don't have the article in my phone.

I think princess persimmons should only be grafted to same species as their growth rate is quite different than D lotus or D kaki.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For edible persimmons, they use generic seed raised edible persimmons for slower growing edible cultivars, and Diospyros lotus for faster growing cultivars. Saw photos of weird wide diameter scions on narrow diameter root stock demonstrating why one choice was made over another. Don't have the article in my phone.

I think princess persimmons should only be grafted to same species as their growth rate is quite different than D lotus or D kaki.
Thanks Leo. I have a few males of the same specie that I can use to graft. Definitely want to keep some of the male branches as pollinator.
Again thanks for your expertise.

Top Bottom