Just kind of cool.

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa
So I was have a converstaion on the phone with my dad back in feb/march, telling him about a new hobby I was starting, bonsai, this was before I had any trees, only seeds stratifying. He stops me right there and says "You don't remember?" I say "remember what?" He then tells me I need to call my grandad(moms side) down in Abeline,tx. So I do, and apprently my grandad had a relativly large 20-50 tree bonsai collection for 15-20yrs, moving it around with him from florida to california and finally San Angelo,tx, where he lived before moving to Abeline(my real hometown shhhh) He got really bad tremors later in life so I imagine that is the reason for him stopping, I was around 4-5 yrs old when he got rid of his collection. I guess when I was little, whenever we would go to visit I was always getting yelled at for messing with the trees(I have no recolection of this)

Anyways I found this very interesting and kind of weird that I found myself becoming interested in and starting bonsai without knowing my grandfather had done it for a number of years before my birth and in my early childhood. Since learning this I have been communicating more regularly with him and getting his help with my trees. He was in clubs, did demos, the whole 9yrds. I just think its cool because I have a feeling not very many Americans can say "my grandfather was a bonsai practicioner".

Last edited:

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's a neat story. But neat to me, not because it's about you both liking bonsai, but neat because it gives you another thing to stay connected with. Dont minimize how much he gets from simply talking with you. Most young people (even young adults sometimes) have little time to interact with parents, much less grandparents. Treasure what time you have with him/them, as it will be gone all too quickly. One of my grandfathers died shortly before I was born, and the other died when I was only 8. And they were both 650 miles away, so I only got to see him during a short vacation each summer, but I dont remember it much.
I wish I knew him/them better. You are a lucky guy that can still take advantage of a wealth of knowledge, and from your grandfather no less.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That is cool indeed. I am sure your grandpa feels mighty proud. For all you know, the early exposure was always been in the back of your mind...and you got started w/ bonsai because of grandpa. :)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What Lordy said. You will be amazed how much joy they get talking with you. Do that with something they are interested with and you hit a home run.

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
That is cool indeed. I am sure your grandpa feels mighty proud. For all you know, the early exposure was always been in the back of your mind...and you got started w/ bonsai because of grandpa. :)

I have a feeling you may be right since I cant really place my finger on what or when made me interested bonsai, other than I've just always found the whole "potted tree thing" really cool.

My grandad used to keep mosquite bonsai, I was wondering if you've grown or have any Dario(if so any pictures?). I might have to see about having you send me up some seed pods, I would love to have a tree from my childhood on my bench.

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
That's a neat story. But neat to me, not because it's about you both liking bonsai, but neat because it gives you another thing to stay connected with. Dont minimize how much he gets from simply talking with you. Most young people (even young adults sometimes) have little time to interact with parents, much less grandparents. Treasure what time you have with him/them, as it will be gone all too quickly. One of my grandfathers died shortly before I was born, and the other died when I was only 8. And they were both 650 miles away, so I only got to see him during a short vacation each summer, but I dont remember it much.
I wish I knew him/them better. You are a lucky guy that can still take advantage of a wealth of knowledge, and from your grandfather no less.

Spot on, and he's not the only one who enjoys the conversations. We were never very close when I was young and it's nice talking regularly with him. I'm trying to get him up to my place in the next year so we can spend some time together(and maybe a mini grandfather grandson backyard workshop)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
We have tons of Mesquite down south but I heard they are hard to collect due to taproot dependence. A friend (Joey) collected one (his first attempt) successfully though. I am sure I can get one if I really try.

I will attach the pic he sent me but note that this is not mine. I believe this is after less than a year from collection (leaf less when he got it).

attachment.php

Attachments

• Mesquite.jpg
    Mesquite.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 154

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
We have tons of Mesquite down south but I heard they are hard to collect due to taproot dependence. A friend (Joey) collected one (his first attempt) successfully though. I am sure I can get one if I really try.

I will attach the pic he sent me but note that this is not mine. I believe this is after less than a year from collection (leaf less when he got it).

attachment.php

awesome, he did a nice job, that going to be one hell of a tree. I wonder how well they do starting them from cuttings, or maybe an airlayer?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They grow super fast from seeds. Small plants should be easy to collect as well. I personally won't try cuttings with this (don't know why).

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
well i'd be more than willing to pay for everything +collection fee if you could hook me up with some seeds.

I'll see if I can find some right now (may be out of season...I am not paying attention)...it will be my gift to you. PM me your mailing address. ;)

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll see if I can find some right now (may be out of season...I am not paying attention)...it will be my gift to you. PM me your mailing address. ;)

Pay it forward Dario! Excellent!

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First off cool story. Second I want a mesquite bonsai so bad. Wish I could find more about collecting. Them. They are something a have good access to. I had always read they were impossible to collect as well due to the long tap root. If we could figure out how to collect these guys we could pull some cool stuff out of west Texas where they grow in super dry bad conditions. Usually bad conditions end up making some really cool trees. There are thousand acres pastures out there where there isn't a tree over 5 feet tall.

Dario,
Did he give a collecting story on the one you posted a pic of?

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dario,
Did he give a collecting story on the one you posted a pic of?

I was there...no real story just straight collecting. :)

Edit: Posted via my phone so it was an abbreviated version. Here is a bit more.
That tree was collected from the future site of TTSBE (The Texas State Bonsai Exhibit) during a dig 1/29/2012. Joey (a member here) collected it and he went really deep because the trunk itself was buried. You can tell from the pot that he didn't keep much of the taproot.

Sorry but that is all I know. Maybe you can contact him (I gave you his email earlier) to find out more.

Last edited:

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't look now, but we are they!

Cool story and you know what, I am the grandpa now! Turn, turn, turn. It is such a joy when one of the kids or grans asks about my trees or a tree they got. Thanks for sharing, Rick

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I doesn't surprise me that Joey would have collected one(or at least tried) That is very cool. I've never even tried one.(mesquite)

Andy

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I doesn't surprise me that Joey would have collected one(or at least tried) That is very cool. I've never even tried one.(mesquite)

Andy

Same here. If I find a good candidate, I will definitely give it a try too. So far no luck locating one. Maybe because I am not actively looking. :D LOL

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good story. It’s funny how much our early experiences affect us without even knowing it.

Maybe we need to setup a seed exchange thread. I recently sent some acer rubrum seeds to another member. They were no cost to me so I didn’t charge anything. A lot of seeds are small enough that you can get away with sending them in a regular envelope. As long as it is less than 1 oz and less than 1/4" thick you can use a regular stamp. It could be a fun way to get people to start growing native species from seed.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I drive by mesquite trees every week. I've pondered about collecting one and how good it might be. I guess if one comes along my path, I'll try to get it. I think that an airlayer should make collecting more simple.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Maybe we need to setup a seed exchange thread. I recently sent some acer rubrum seeds to another member. They were no cost to me so I didn’t charge anything. A lot of seeds are small enough that you can get away with sending them in a regular envelope. As long as it is less than 1 oz and less than 1/4" thick you can use a regular stamp. It could be a fun way to get people to start growing native species from seed.

Go for it. :)

I have no problem doing it (mailing out) but I honestly do not want to start from seeds so I will just be a donor.

I also would only do it using regular envelope & stamp...otherwise the hassle of going to and lining at the post office will be a deterrent for me.

Top Bottom