Just my short notes on interesting azaleas (with pictures)

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not after the flowers, in fact that's why I dont want Shiryu no Mai, but hoping to get other flowers from a sport
Btw, cant order from USA

I guess I will just order a Shiryu no Mai from bonsaiplaza anyway, then I have something at least

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Koryu (there are two with that name, usually it is the Kozan system one) is a sport of Shiryu no Mai. If you have the 2020 dictionary, there is an inlay picture on page 232.
There is also Aso no Haru, cross between Shiryu no Mai and Amagasa. But it doesn't appear in the newer dictionaries. In fact, I don't have one that includes it.

In fact, I thought you would be talking about varieties like Kinu no Mai and Hakusen no Mai.

Last edited:

Time Wizard

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Yeah, Yata no Kagami is the most graceful azalea Ive got, foliage-wise
I actually bought a number of varieties I previously mentioned in this thread in the online shop you linked me, Glaucus.
Hinomaru, Matsurinotsuki, Kokuko no tsuki - great finds
also Aka Kozan, if I remember right. I know Aka and Beni mean red, so it seemed like something I might like. The trunk was nice, too

I did not buy Shiryu no Mai because there wasnt one at decent price and I question if Id appreciate the flowers
What's the link for that shop? I like the flowers on Matsuri No Tsuki, I may want to get one for myself.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What's the link for that shop? I like the flowers on Matsuri No Tsuki, I may want to get one for myself.
Unfortunately they dont ship to the states, sorry
Its bonsaiplaza

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Kokuko no tsuki and Shiryu no mai just werent hardy to -7 to -10 over a week. The others were. Hinomaru did well even though I had received it in a weakened condition. Its looking good now, and flowering as it should.
Great fall color on yata no kagami, good on kokuko no tsuki, crap on shiryu no mai
Not a big fan of the yata no kagami flower

If anyone knows varieties with rings or other cool patterns, like Hinomaru, let me know

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wakaebisu
Potentially nice fall color and flowers seem decent. I dont know if its hardy though. Large flowers might indicate maruba heritage, which is bad for my climate. Offspring or sports could be more asthetically interesting yet, but I wouldnt know where to find those.
1687079206975.png

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wakaebisu is a southern cultivar. Kyushu region.
Still reported to be hardy to -10F/-23C by Americans. But that may be at Mediterranean/Kyushu latitudes and with a ton more sun than we in Europe have.
If anyone knows varieties with rings or other cool patterns, like Hinomaru, let me know

There is the bull's eye pattern/蛇の目/janome pattern. Where you get fukurin/jewel border and sokojiro/white centers in one flower. So this gives like a ring. but this pattern is not stable. If there ever was a sport where all flowers were like this, I am sure it would have been registered.

There is also Nanso no Haru, which when it has the right pattern only has blotch petal that is coloured, and the others are pale. But just like Hi no Maru doesn't always come out right, the same with Nanso no Haru.

Also, on the Tochinoha Shobo (the publisher of the Satsuki magazine and the dictionaries) instagram, if you scroll back to October 2022, they have a nice montage of some flowers:

Last edited:

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Kokuko no Tsuki
Initially interested for fall color but the flowers have 'grown on me'
Its fairly high on my wanted list right now
There are close relatives that might be interesting, too
View attachment 440193View attachment 440194
Just picked this imported shohin up from Kifu Bonsai. If you are still looking, hit up Bob!

Attachments

• 20230722_140013.jpg
    20230722_140013.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230722_135728.jpg
    20230722_135728.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 13
Top Bottom