Just Playing Around

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I have a bunch of azaleas that I have grown from cuttings so I decided to see what I could make of one today. It has pink rose type flowers, similar to the one @Carol 83 posted a few days ago.

Here it is:

DSC08781-1.jpg

I removed all of the flowers, the were fading anyway. And then thinned out the new growth.

DSC08783-1.jpg

DSC08785-1.jpg

After that, a quick wiring. I'll let it grow the rest of summer. hopefully I will get more branches in the right places. I will make a lot, maybe where I need them.

DSC08787-1.jpg

Not a bad looking set of roots either.

DSC08789-1.jpg

DSC08791-1.jpg

The long straight branch coming off the base is a sacrifice branch, I am trying something new for thickening the base. I know it does not look like much now, but I'll update at the end of summer to show where it is.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have a bunch of azaleas that I have grown from cuttings so I decided to see what I could make of one today. It has pink rose type flowers, similar to the one @Carol 83 posted a few days ago.

Here it is:

View attachment 188290

I removed all of the flowers, the were fading anyway. And then thinned out the new growth.

View attachment 188291

View attachment 188292

After that, a quick wiring. I'll let it grow the rest of summer. hopefully I will get more branches in the right places. I will make a lot, maybe where I need them.

View attachment 188293

Not a bad looking set of roots either.

View attachment 188294

View attachment 188295

The long straight branch coming off the base is a sacrifice branch, I am trying something new for thickening the base. I know it does not look like much now, but I'll update at the end of summer to show where it is.
I can see where you’re going with it, it’s gonna be a cool project.

Is this thinning procedure standard protocol for your satsukis? I don’t remember if I’ve ever read of you doing that before.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I can see where you’re going with it, it’s gonna be a cool project.

Is this thinning procedure standard protocol for your satsukis? I don’t remember if I’ve ever read of you doing that before.

Yes, I thin them every year, if you look back a some my other threads, you will see where I thin or cut back every year. This is what keeps them from being a "Bush".

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yes, I thin them every year, if you look back a some my other threads, you will see where I thin or cut back every year. This is what keeps them from being a "Bush".
Gotcha. Now that I look at the growth pattern on mine I see what you mean, they tend to send out shoots in groups of four or more sometimes as opposed to the 1-2 ramification we prefer for Bonsai. None of mine are far enough along to apply this information, but good to know for later!

Top Bottom