Just potted my 1st large yamadori, am hoping for advice on its care!

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm in FL near the 9a/9b line, and have been collecting smaller yamadori for a short while now, all the time looking for something larger / more impressive, and a few days ago I found that someone on my block had chopped-down their large bougainvillea, so I promptly got permission to take their stump and now have it all setup at my place - I made an album showing excavation through potting http://imgur.com/a/TGGqd and am hoping for thoughts on whether I missed anything, what special care I should give now (besides ensuring the media stays moist), and how likely this thing may or may not be to survive such a hard transplant!

Some specs- media is diatomaceous earth granules (sifted & rinsed) with some larger rock chunks acting as inert filler; I've started to water it with a very light% liquid fertilizer since the DE doesn't offer any nutrients for new roots to take up; I chose not to use my IBA due to uncertainty, and didn't find out about the specimen's availability until it was too-late to get & apply cut-paste to the chopped trunk; The roots were disappointing, I was hoping for WAY more fine roots around the base of this thing, but found more of a root 'branch mass' than root 'ball' of feeder roots.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, am now at the point of just fingers-crossed hoping that it survives the transplant, but if there's anything I can do to tilt the odds in my favor I'd love to know! Oh and it's currently in medium-high sun area, as the box I made is permanent/immovable, so am tempted to shade it a bit but don't know whether that's wise or not! If I were to shade, I think I'd simply put a vertical post on each corner of the box, maybe 2-3' tall, and put cloth across the top to block direct sun!

Attachments

• 19700127_005152.jpg
    19700127_005152.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 35
Top Bottom