Just realized a new learning curve

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It was a bit frustrating to figure this out but I'm glad I did nonetheless. It just reemphasizes the need for patience in this hobby.

In the last week or so, I realized the other learning curve to this hobby is figuring out what kind of material is available in your area.

I've spent so much time looking at plants in nurseries and being disappointed by most of what I've seen.
For example, Id been looking for a juniper with some really nice potential. Not finding any after looking at a few 100 trees, Id decided to buy some small ones and plant them in the ground in the hopes that some day they would be nice material.

Last week I decided to go for a car ride to some places I hadn't been in a while and see what nurseries were there and what they had available. Well Ill be damned if I didn't find what I was looking for: some really nice junipers with nice big trunks. If Id known these were available nearby, I wouldn't have spent the money (not that it was all that much) on some of the other material Id bought before.

I take it as a lesson learned and chalk it up to my still being a newb to all this but still can't help being a bit frustrated by it.....sigh...

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
When I first started I made the same mistake. Thinking to myself " well they have nothing good so I guess I'll buy this" then find something 100 times better somewhere else.
As time passes you won't even bother with the smaller stuff and will become selective and not settle for just anything.

Saturday mornings are my time. Lol which I don't get much of anymore. But Saturday mornings I get a 24oz coffee and head to a nursery and start my search at 7am. Spend a couple hours there looking through what they just got in. Then get another 24oz coffee and hit up another nursery. Then one more before I head home for lunch.
I normally do this every weekend. This year I bought 4 trees. 3 of which were in the last 2 months as the sales started.
This is just an example of how selective you might become. I used to buy 30 plants a year. Now I might buy 6.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The most important part is that you learned something :) and you found what you were looking for. It doesn't always end this way so be thankful.

Now, show us the tree!!! ;)

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've scoured my local nurseries also. After a while, like you, I had seen 100 plants with no potential. And then learned that I was walking past other species that I had not yet understood were solid potential. I suppose with anything you learn, the more you learn the more you realize you have much more to learn.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here's a tip for you.

When I go to nurseries, I go to their reject pile (bargain area) first, then check the 40 gallon pots down to 5 gallon. I normally start checking the base then go up no more than 18" (no matter how nice the top is). I figured it will be chopped anyway...unless it can be air layered (and I want to put the effort in it).

Top Bottom