Just received Lawsoniana

Reaction score
Hi
I just received my chamaecyparis lawsoniana today. Thought it was going to be 4 or 5 inches. It is about 14 inches tall. I planted it in BonsaI soil in a bonsai pot. Should I cut the crown back? It’s one long whip with side leaves. I understand it needs to get established and go through winter before starting to train it but it’s very tall already. What should I do?
Thanks

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Honestly, I would start with another plant that is more bonsai friendly. Personally I think your choice for bonsai material is not good. On the other hand, your plant can make a nice landscape or potted plant on its own.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like its basically a Thuja, so this is one way it can be styled as bonsai. Or maybe it could be wired like a sabina juniper, later in its life? I wonder.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Greetings etched in the sand for thee, traveler... cool your roots in the muddy banks of the Tiny Forest... the Woody Dwarves WILL attempt “eye contact”.. proceed at your own risk. ;)

You’ve come to the right wat’rin’ole partner... here lies an abundant spring of shared knowledge and experience.

Are pictures of said Lawsoniana available?.... I am unfamiliar.

Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Give it to the In-laws Son Ian Eh?

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Top Bottom