Just received this olive today.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
With Shohin, the goals are different. Shohin display is a whole different world! The display is allowed to be more flamboyant. Brighter pots, and painted pots are often used.

My yellow pots are kinda an inside joke. I took the one on the left to the Nationals several years ago as part of my display. That pot blinded people! Lol!!! So, it’s become “a thing”, for me to put Shohin olives in yellow pots.

Fair enough, good to know :).

Thats the good and bad thing, always.. with the tree and pots, art... there's no right way to do it!! How infuriating.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Fair enough, good to know :).

Thats the good and bad thing, always.. with the tree and pots, art... there's no right way to do it!! How infuriating.
Oh, no! Turn your thinking around... there are lots of ways to do it right! Lol!!!

Reactions: n8

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Oh, no! Turn your thinking around... there are lots of ways to do it right! Lol!!!

Yeah and just as many ways to do it wrong! Lol.
In life I am a very structured person, logic, technical, order, organisation... This hobby is extremely creative, so its an internal struggle for me.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Choosing pots, is always tricky.
Actually, it’s one of the fun parts!

when I first started bonsai, 50 years ago:oops:, I didn’t care about pots, just the trees. The pots were a necessary “expense”. But then again, I was working with sticks in nursery cans.

Now that I have mature trees, picking a pot is rather fun. I like to have several choices to pick from, I’ll prepare the rootball, and then set the tree in each one, step back, and take a picture. Looking at the pictures can help make the decision. There’s often several good choices, and different pots can really change the overall “feeling”. And, of course, there’s some really bad choices! Lol!!!

As I mentioned before, Shohin bonsai is a whole ‘nother thing! The yellow pot for the olives is a rule breaker. That works! Go figure.

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think the op pot choice is nice. I don’t prefer the pots that look to much like the tree. The other end of the spectrum (yellow) is beautiful from an artistic sense with contrast and tone but take away from the tree a little. But in a shohin display it must add to the overall image.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Cut back hoping to get some ramification, bottom branches need to thicken big time. Now to let it sit for a while again.

View attachment 367885
Nice! Enjoyed this thread - good read 👍🏻 and I like the pot.

One thought (take it with pinch of salt - I'm new still)... Do you have any back branches going on? Just curious as from the photo it looks a little flat branching wise?

Cute little tree though!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It does, it probably looks a bit flat because I left the bottom branches so long still.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Adair do you keep your olive outside all year round? I am in zone 7A and some of the bonsai guys around here are telling me they will not survive here. Thanks

Top Bottom