Just Some ferns

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I was feeling creative today and decided to use some ferns to make an new accent. Here is what I started with:

I got this pot at our club auction for $2.oo, it is too shallow to plant a tree in it in my area unless you want to water every fifteen minutes in the heat of July, so I decided to use it for an accent tray.
DSC00387-1.jpg

Next we have some resurrection fern that I collected at my church. There is an ancient oak growing there and with all of the bad weather we have been having a lot of the damaged limbs have been falling, all loaded with this type of fern.

DSC00390-1.jpg

I also have some other type of fern that I got in a pot along with a tree that I got in the auction, too. It supposedly came from Japan and grows very well. I threw in some moss from a parking lot, a little soil, and came up with this:

DSC00391-1.jpg

DSC00395-1.jpg

It will look better in a couple of weeks when the ferns get used to their new home and the moss gets established. Here is one that I put together earlier, minus the Japanese fern:

DSC00388-2.jpg

What do you think? If anyone is interested in the ferns, PM me and I'll send you some.

John

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Real nice.

Great green accents for all your wonderful flowers!

Sorce

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Resurrection fern make great accents; Japanese fern (a nasty and VERY invasive plant) less so. Only people who live in the deep south can find or use the resurrection fern, however. It does not survive the cold and MUST have sufficient humidity to stay green (tho it can stay curled up, brown and dry for months).

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Thanks, for the comments. I just started playing around with the resurrection fern. I have had the Japanese fern for a while and you are right it is aggressive. I just trim the fronds off when they get too big.

John

Top Bottom