Just some pretty trees from The Jim Smith Collection

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I was referring to the plural.
I don't think Ficus Salicaria's sounds nice.
The finest Ficus Salicaria's....that just doesn't sound right.

Oh, gotcha. I thought there was one in particular you were especially proud of. Now I understand what you meant.

I love the trees. You are very fortunate to have such a great collection to care for.

Thanks for posting the great photos.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
The trees look nice BUT for the time that they've been trained/developed as bonsai, I am expecting a lot more. I know you are very proud of these trees but thought they are mature and massive, none is world class IMHO and some should be long time before now. Sorry, just my brutal PERSONAL opinion.

Hope you can remedy and change that for the better. Good luck!

Your post is nice BUT for the time you've been posting about bonsai, I am expecting a lot more. I know you are very proud of your post but though it is stern and critical, none of it is accurate and some should be by now. Sorry, just my brutal PERSONAL opinion.

:rolleyes:

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
In response to Augustine;
Jim Smith has always used 100% Turface.
The reason I pointed the fact out that the [tropical] trees are in 100% Turface is because of the soil nazi's who don't think anything can grow in the substrate.
My opinion, and I learned this from Jim Smith; "you can grow any tree in any soil".
In fact, Salicaria do not need soil to grow.

In response to Poink88;
As the curator, not the owner, I do not have the right to restyle the trees.
I respect your opinion, I believe some of the trees could be wired to feel more modern, but Jim Smith is 94 years old, and this collection is to honor and display his bonsai art, not mine.
Wiring every branch in the US is almost a new concept and Jim Smith does pretty much everything by clip and grow.
When I was working with him, one of my questions to him was whether or not he feels I should wire anything.
He said no, and that the most he would do is use guy wires to lower some branches.
These are his trees, those are his instructions, I'm here to carry out and continue his vision.

That being said; if we appreciate bonsai as art, then we should appreciate the art of the artist which is being displayed. As the curator of any art gallery, the eye may be interested in art besides what is on display, but it is not the curator's position to redraw the eye that Picasso had placed on the chin...if you catch my drift. One doesn't go to a Salvador Dhali exhibit and say Picasso's work is better, one goes to the Salvador Dhali exhibit to enjoy the work of Salvador Dhali.

http://artofbonsai.org/galleries/jsmith.php

This is something I've actually spent a bit of time thinking about; prior to this post. Bonsai as an art; we too often times do not appreciate the artist but just compare a tree to the "rules". If we did this with music, theater, poetry, or any other form of "the arts"; we wouldn't be evoking emotion, which is what separates bonsai from horticulture. So to appreciate bonsai as art, you need to appreciate the different cultures of bonsai and different artists of bonsai; not just the rule book. Bonsai in Florida is distinctly different than bonsai in Oregon; and again bonsai in Europe is distinctly different than bonsai in Taiwan; do we compare and challenge the two or appreciate both as art of different cultures? I think that is how we appreciate bonsai as art; instead of appreciate knowing the rules.

Erik Wigert is the strongest bonsai machine in Florida; he is driving the state in my opinion. His style is distinctly different from Jim Smith's designs and Erik is also known to be a great carver. I don't compare the two's work at all, because they're radically different from one another, but both are indeed world class. What Erik is doing on the West Coast of Florida is what the East Coast is lacking. Erik is bringing the level of refinement and creativity forward and the East Coast is lagging behind. Partially this is due to the amount of wealth on the West Coast, and also less of the old and retired.

-----
-----

And to wrap things up on the matter; these trees, like I said in the first post, have been neglected for several years. The collection has not had a curator for over a year and a half; prior to that there was a man in place for 19 months who's work did not please Jim Smith. The trees have not been properly cared for and the collection was in a state of decline upon my arrival. I had repotted 20 tropicals this summer; have about 30 more tropicals for the spring/summer of 2015 and have 10 temperate trees that are in need of repotting, but were already out of season. Right now I'm looking to raise around $3,000, maybe even more, just to replace pots that have been busted either from a lack of repotting or mishandling; currently I'm looking at 8 busted pots, none of which are smaller than 19" wide and all are Japanese. So you are right when you say, the trees do not appear to be what they should be, because these bonsai aren't at the level they were even 5 years ago.

These pictures are from Google Images; both of these trees I have posted in this thread. Compare the pictures.

w_f_sa13.jpg

w_the_13.jpg

----
----

And these three show the progress with one tree in particular.
Several years ago, I decided I wanted to get a bougainvillea bonsai for my mother because it's her favorite flower. So I did some Google Image searching and found this picture and posted it on tumblr with the text "for mothers days I'm going to get my mom a bougainvillea bonsai one year". I was inspired with this tree. I had no idea it was Jim Smith's.

jim_smith_BOUGAINVILLEA.JPG

When I got to Heathcote; I saw the tree in person and was in total amazement that this tree which I had come across online was now in my care. But I was disgusted to see the health of the tree. This is what I saw in June 2014. The photo was taken after I had repotted, but the foliage reflects the health.

10505511_10204248158668758_3653079031033603834_n.jpg

This was taken in the begining of September, should have some fall blooms next week. I feel like this tree is a testament of the work I've been doing, and that yes, I am proud of this collection and have many reasons to be.

10678704_10204664407674723_4592166682776792973_n.jpg

Yours truly.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
People in America haven't been wiring every branch? I didn't know that. Why not?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Your post is nice BUT for the time you've been posting about bonsai, I am expecting a lot more. I know you are very proud of your post but though it is stern and critical, none of it is accurate and some should be by now. Sorry, just my brutal PERSONAL opinion.

:rolleyes:

Must be my weird taste. :)

You see, I look at the collection of; Ryan Neil, Bill V., Peter Tea, Kimura (of Japan), Boon, Wigert, Dorothy (Cascade), etc. and I see finished trees...but not these. I see WONDERFUL trees with GREAT potential but not "finished" bonsai.

Thank you.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
... it is not the curator's position to redraw the eye that Picasso had placed on the chin...if you catch my drift. One doesn't go to a Salvador Dhali exhibit and say Picasso's work is better, one goes to the Salvador Dhali exhibit to enjoy the work of Salvador Dhali..
Bonsai is living art...unlike a painting or a sculpture. They grow and change on their own. Besides so many bonsai artists think they are in league with Van Gogh or Michael Angelo but they are (most of the time) not. ;)

FYI, I've seen Masahiko Kimura re-style Kokufu bonsai. I've read multiple accounts of the same from known artists...Ryan Neil I believe mentioned it numerous times while doing his apprenticeship.

BUT you work for someone and bound by the limits they set...I can understand that.

Good luck to you.

Hank Miller

Yamadori
Reaction score
One of the seldom discussed concerns of bonsai growers is what will happen to their trees when they are no longer able to care for them. I, therefore, am always pleased to see efforts made to insure that these trees are preserved for future generations to enjoy. Over the years, on the internet, I have enjoyed viewing Jim Smith's trees and was pleased to see that a place was found for the collection and that these trees will continue to be maintained. One of the things I like about bonsai trees is that they are very forgiving. Even if not maintained properly for a period of time, with a little bit of TLC bonsai trees, particularly tropical bonsai trees, can be returned to their former state of health and vitality. I, therefore, look forward in anticipation to viewing these trees in the future and hope that you will continue to post images of their development. Regards Hank

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Bonsai is living art...unlike a painting or a sculpture. They grow and change on their own. Besides so many bonsai artists think they are in league with Van Gogh or Michael Angelo but they are (most of the time) not. ;)

FYI, I've seen Masahiko Kimura re-style Kokufu bonsai. I've read multiple accounts of the same from known artists...Ryan Neil I believe mentioned it numerous times while doing his apprenticeship.

BUT you work for someone and bound by the limits they set...I can understand that.

Good luck to you.

People who think they know about art talk about Van Gogh and Michelangelo because it is easy to simulate a knowledge on the subject by using "known artist's" names. Pseudo-intellectualism.

If you knew even a smidgen about Jim Smith, you would reconsider what it is you're saying.

If you don't appreciate what it is you're viewing; don't view.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
People who think they know about art talk about Van Gogh and Michelangelo because it is easy to simulate a knowledge on the subject by using "known artist's" names. Pseudo-intellectualism.

If you knew even a smidgen about Jim Smith, you would reconsider what it is you're saying.

If you don't appreciate what it is you're viewing; don't view.

Ha-ha...guess who started using artist names in this thread. Look in the mirror. ;)

That being said; if we appreciate bonsai as art, then we should appreciate the art of the artist which is being displayed. As the curator of any art gallery, the eye may be interested in art besides what is on display, but it is not the curator's position to redraw the eye that Picasso had placed on the chin...if you catch my drift. One doesn't go to a Salvador Dhali exhibit and say Picasso's work is better, one goes to the Salvador Dhali exhibit to enjoy the work of Salvador Dhali.

Fine, I am out of your thread since you only want to hear "atta boy". Good luck to you.

James H

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You have in your care some amazing looking trees right now. I can only imagine what they looked like 5 years ago and what they will become 10 years from now. It sounds like you have a huge project ahead of you. I am very jealous of your job, it would be awesome to learn from someone that has grown and maintained trees like those for that long.

Have you thought of selling cutting from the trees when you do the work on them? I would be interested in cutting from some of the different trees you have shown in the photos. Might be a way to generate some income to replace pots and other expenses.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have admired Jim Smith's trees for a few years now.
I am envious of your job. Are there any enthusiasts there who could assist you with care? Clubs or groups who could sort of apprentice under you?
I like the idea of selling trimmings to raise money for care of the trees or to purchase supplies or pots.
An auction on ebay would be great because you could tell people the benefits would go to maintaining this line of trees. I bet you could raise some good money this way.
I had no idea most of this was clip and grow styling.
Is it Jim's decision that they continue to be planted in straight turface?
Just curious- I think a mix would be beneficial.
Open up some air to the roots.
I think they are stunning- thank you for sharing.

Please continue to post updates.

Last edited:
Top Bottom