Just some questions about a juniper

Jupiter

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A5
So recently I have noticed that some areas on my juniper procumbens nana have started to get some hard needles. Seems to be more of the top layer of foliage. Some of it is on last years growth and some is on this years. I'm not sure if this is normal or not so I was just looking to get some opinions. Otherwise the tree seems to be doing fine. Is this normal or should I be worried? Also soory if this isn't the right place to post but I literally made the account a few seconds ago

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pics!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!

We will be able to give better advice with a few pics, as well as your location. Procumbens have two types of foliage - adult scale foliage and juvenile needle foliage, and under certain conditions you can trigger needle foliage to pop out where none was before. But we will be able to tell more with a pic!

Jupiter

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A5
So I've also noticed some browning tips. I'm not sure if this is all linked to the same thing or if this is completely normal but any information/advice is greatly appreciated. I'm in london, Ontario, Canada so I think zone 5B but I may be mistaken.

Attachments

• Juniper1.jpg
    Juniper1.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Juniper2.jpg
    Juniper2.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 52
  • Juniper3.jpg
    Juniper3.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 53

Jupiter

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A5
Welcome to the site!

We will be able to give better advice with a few pics, as well as your location. Procumbens have two types of foliage - adult scale foliage and juvenile needle foliage, and under certain conditions you can trigger needle foliage to pop out where none was before. But we will be able to tell more with a pic!
Hey I added some pics below. Hope this will help. Also thanks for the welcoming!

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey I added some pics below. Hope this will help. Also thanks for the welcoming!
Tree looks nice and healthy. Sometimes brown tips can be a result of physical damage; either you brushed against it the wrong way or mishandled it during wiring, or any one of numerous other physical causes. Regardless, the damage does not look worrisome to me.

As far as hard needle foliage, what you are seeing is what I described earlier. Procumbens junipers (and most other junipers) have two types of foliage. Juvenile foliage is prickly needle, and adult foliage is softer scale (without needles). As seedling, all the foliage is needle foliage, and as the tree gets larger, the tendency is to change over to adult scale foliage. However some actions can trigger an adult tree to revert from adult foliage back to partial (or almost complete) needle foliage - like heavy pruning, heavy fertilization, or repotting. Usually once the tree recovers from whatever triggered the spurt of juvenile growth it will shift back to adult scale foliage.

There are some junipers, known generally as "needle junipers" that maintain juvenile needle growth always. Other junipers, like Chinese junipers (and specifically shimpaku Chinese junipers) are prized for bonsai because they maintain scale foliage and only rarely throw needle foliage - even after heavy pruning. Procumbens is right in the middle.

Jupiter

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A5
Tree looks nice and healthy. Sometimes brown tips can be a result of physical damage; either you brushed against it the wrong way or mishandled it during wiring, or any one of numerous other physical causes. Regardless, the damage does not look worrisome to me.

As far as hard needle foliage, what you are seeing is what I described earlier. Procumbens junipers (and most other junipers) have two types of foliage. Juvenile foliage is prickly needle, and adult foliage is softer scale (without needles). As seedling, all the foliage is needle foliage, and as the tree gets larger, the tendency is to change over to adult scale foliage. However some actions can trigger an adult tree to revert from adult foliage back to partial (or almost complete) needle foliage - like heavy pruning, heavy fertilization, or repotting. Usually once the tree recovers from whatever triggered the spurt of juvenile growth it will shift back to adult scale foliage.

There are some junipers, known generally as "needle junipers" that maintain juvenile needle growth always. Other junipers, like Chinese junipers (and specifically shimpaku Chinese junipers) are prized for bonsai because they maintain scale foliage and only rarely throw needle foliage - even after heavy pruning. Procumbens is right in the middle.
Well that's a relief! Now I haven't pruned or wired in awhile. I use fert but only in small amounts daily. Its a liquid fert of 10 15 10. I use what it say to use for daily use either exactly or one drop less. I'm fairly gentle with it. I only touch it to water and for the most part I don't even touch the foliage. I do mist it daily but I'm assuming that wouldn't be what may be causing the damage. It might be hard to see from the pictures but there are actually a few areas that have the browning. Not a crazy amount but enough to have me start to question. especially since it's only on the tips

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well that's a relief! Now I haven't pruned or wired in awhile. I use fert but only in small amounts daily. Its a liquid fert of 10 15 10. I use what it say to use for daily use either exactly or one drop less. I'm fairly gentle with it. I only touch it to water and for the most part I don't even touch the foliage. I do mist it daily but I'm assuming that wouldn't be what may be causing the damage. It might be hard to see from the pictures but there are actually a few areas that have the browning. Not a crazy amount but enough to have me start to question. especially since it's only on the tips
I don't know how to describe the various parts of juniper scale foliage, but the damage that you have been seeing is in one of the small "leaflets" on the exterior of the branch. That sort of damage is inconsequential and will not impact the growth of the branch. Damage that kills the tip or interior of the branch - down into the soft vascular tissue - is more concerning.

Top Bottom