Just started in on these 2....

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Any advice will be appriciated :)

Those are sweeties :D
Where are you wanting to take them to?
Please list what your thoughts are on them.
What Style are you wanting?
Mom

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those are sweeties :D
Where are you wanting to take them to?
Please list what your thoughts are on them.
What Style are you wanting?
Mom

With thin but bendy trunks like those, you should be able to put some very nice natural curves in them!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
With thin but bendy trunks like those, you should be able to put some very nice natural curves in them!

Chris has stated what, short of planting them in the ground for a few years worth of growth coupled with heavy cut backs to get some lower branching, may well be your only option.

Literati.

With this style you have a few opitions open.

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
That wasn't rude Zappa. It is an example of the shortcomings of quickly written english. It was obvious to me (never known for being a keen ally for Will) that will had tongue in cheek. It was a "Danger, Will Robinson" moment.

Zappa

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ahh. sorry for the misunderstanding....The statement seemed elitest...i.e. "beginners shouldnt be posting their crap on the forums"

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
ahh. sorry for the misunderstanding....The statement seemed elitest...i.e. "beginners shouldnt be posting their crap on the forums"

(When only famous reknown bonsaika post magnificent trees on this forum, then it won't be BonsaiNut any more, it'll be World War III... :mad: )

I agree with Chris : wiring could help, and your idea of a literati is a good one.

I'm not really into conifers, but I'm sure you can get useful advice to develop it into a bonsai. Here or elsewhere.

As for me, I'll let you play Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, so long cow boys, I don't run as fast as a stray bullet.

Last edited:

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Zappa,

My reply last night was indeed tongue and cheek, nobody called your trees crap, you did.

Outside of a lenghty stay in the ground, your only option as you know at this point is to go for a literati.

Zappa

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
yeah Rick I totally agree with your statement about pots...I know this tree needs more maturity...it needs to be put in the ground....I was more interested in shaping advice...I plan on working on their shapes while they are in the ground :)

How much of a bend in the trunks should I aim for? I know this style breaks bonsai "rules"...but are there any rules within this style about bends? I think I read somewhere that they should bend more towards one direction.

by the way Im planning on developing the bottom branch of the 2nd bonsai into jin...would this be a good situation to try it or should I wait for a better opportunity with a different tree?

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
(When only famous reknown bonsaika post magnificent trees on this forum, then it won't be BonsaiNut any more, it'll be World War III... :mad: )

I agree with Chris : wiring could help, and your idea of a literati is a good one.

I'm not really into conifers, but I'm sure you can get useful advice to develop it into a bonsai. Here or elsewhere.

As for me, I'll let you play Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, so long cow boys, I don't run as fast as a stray bullet.

Alain tsk tsk.....
English is a harsh language as we both know, and the meaning behind can be off. Please let it slide to the side.
Mom

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't put these in the ground.The lower branches are missing from the first and insignificant on the second.For a literati style you want the thin trunks.Why try to thicken them in the ground?I doubt if you would increase the taper in the ground either.

andy

Steve

Seedling
Reaction score
If they were mine I'd be looking at a literati style for sure. Find as many examples in books or the internet to get inspired and have a go.

Steve

Top Bottom