Just starting....famous last words...

GnoMercy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
ok I just started into bonsai and basically all growing, I’m located in Las Vegas, /sigh I know uphill battle, I’ve taken a few nursery cheap box woods for practice and totally messed up a jade but learning is learning.

Now for my question. My house was super neglected before I bought it and I have a few privets in front hat have shoots going 10’ ish tall...I want to keep the plants where they are but they need a heavy prune. I’d like to use some of the thick branches for material even if it’s long term/training I could clip a 4’ tall 1” cutting tonight but I’m looking for some advice on how to best harvest material for the purpose. I also managed to did out a “weed” that was a 3’ tall live oak with a 3-4” thrunk that got put in a pot and is growing rapidly that will probably be my first trunk chop experiment...any advice to treat said problems would be great! First post and new to the community but thanks ahead of time!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Our boy @milehigh_7 is in Vegas....
So we can help you sideswipe that hill!
But we can't expect much but searching old stuff from Milehigh, cuz his ass supposed to be studying!

Crucial is the soil....loose, open, larger particle DE is what you need to keep from boiling your roots! Airflow! Lotta water!

Take cutting and replant that shit in the yard and dig the stumps!

A privet stump, in an arid environment, is dope fast, and lasting!

Sorce

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please join a club and get some help from the members.
Before digging up anything.
Welcome!!!
Good Day
Anthony

GnoMercy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
When and where does the club meet? Or a link to a site would be great! Thanks guys.

GnoMercy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
One local question I do I have...where in the hell can you find these soil supplies?? I’ve been looking all over but nothing but top soil/cactus soil and large rock

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
One local question I do I have...where in the hell can you find these soil supplies?? I’ve been looking all over but nothing but top soil/cactus soil and large rock

On the Internet?

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
There is a Vegas club and they are fairly active but if you want to contact them FB is the only way currently. https://www.facebook.com/LVBonsaiSociety/ They meet on the other side of town from me and I just don't have time to go when they have meetings. I have been to one of their shows and I did sell a bunch of my trees to them 5 years ago when we lost our house.

@sorce I am getting ready to do some homework as we speak thank you very much...

Anyway, @GnoMercy what part of town are you in? Vegas is pretty much a wasteland (in many ways really) for anything bonsai. However, I am working to fix that as much as I can. There are no local sources for things like pumice or lava here, for the most part, however, I may have some things in the works and maybe we can work together on some of them. You can message me anytime and I will try to answer.

You can do bonsai here and I can help you. If I could make one suggestion getting started it would be to plan for Summer. You need some way to have shade from about 10AM on. So if you need to build shade structures I would make that my first purchases. It has to stand up to our occasional 40+ MPH winds as well so keep that in mind. If you don't do this, nothing you buy will live.

GnoMercy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@milehigh_7 thanks! Def. I don’t mind ordering online i think to me it’s seeing and knowing what I’m buying and why. I live in summerlin. Right now I have pure shade if i want. 60 foot pines cover 2/3 my yard. I’m using the 1/3 part that’s as much sun as possible in winter but in summer I plan on moving my plants to shade ish...I will prob try the club but I work shift work like most of vegas and change in feb but I have prior commitment on wed’s :-/. I might try to make a point to go to one. But it’s not convenient for me and my wife, who loves this hoby FYI lol. I’d love to learn more it’s def my goal. Thanks for all the advice. Im test running airlayering on “weed” the wife made me dig up. Pretty sure it’s a privet “tree” with a solid 2-3” root base so we’ll see what happens.

Top Bottom