Just Thought I would start a thread with a ridiculously long title cause that's what seems to be popular with the "in crowd". Hail Bananaman

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So I collected this big specimen and I really need something to do. It needs to be a bonsai tomorrow! Can or should I cut off branches yet? It doesnt matter what the answer is because I already did but it now has bugs what's a good pesticide besides the one I'm using? I dont know if its bugs or fungus so what do you think about dipping the whole tree in malathion? Since I've repotted it twice this year will it be alright? I saw a video where a guy had one of these and planted it in straight horse shit and it was delightful. Where does someone go about getting horse shit? Would pony shit work as well? Since I've started typing this post I've totally defoliated it to get more back budding/fine ramification. I saw pictures where someone did this to a tree once right after collection and it's in great shape. I know they say leave them alone for at least a year after collection but it was growing so great a day after I dug it up that I also re root pruned it after I went to the bathroom. Speaking of which I decided against land animal based fertilizer altogether. I'll now be using Dolphin Doo. It's really just fish fertilizer but it's been run through a dolphin which they say adds beneficial microbes to it. Has anyone tried it yet? It doesn't taste fishy at all.

Thanks in advance for all the replies.
Even though I won't listen to them at all and argue about common sense suggestions.

People will be able to help you better with your dolphin doo question if you put your location in your profile. It might hold too much moisture in cooler climates. Oh, and join your local club.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So I collected this big specimen and I really need something to do. It needs to be a bonsai tomorrow! Can or should I cut off branches yet? It doesnt matter what the answer is because I already did but it now has bugs what's a good pesticide besides the one I'm using? I dont know if its bugs or fungus so what do you think about dipping the whole tree in malathion? Since I've repotted it twice this year will it be alright? I saw a video where a guy had one of these and planted it in straight horse shit and it was delightful. Where does someone go about getting horse shit? Would pony shit work as well? Since I've started typing this post I've totally defoliated it to get more back budding/fine ramification. I saw pictures where someone did this to a tree once right after collection and it's in great shape. I know they say leave them alone for at least a year after collection but it was growing so great a day after I dug it up that I also re root pruned it after I went to the bathroom. Speaking of which I decided against land animal based fertilizer altogether. I'll now be using Dolphin Doo. It's really just fish fertilizer but it's been run through a dolphin which they say adds beneficial microbes to it. Has anyone tried it yet? It doesn't taste fishy at all.Thanks in advance for all the replies.
Even though I won't listen to them at all and argue about common sense suggestions.
Post #19...and FINALLY it hits a bonsai topic for the "General Topics" forum. Dolphin Doo...make sure it's not contaminated what is known as the red tide. You sound quite experienced by now...you need better quality trees to work your magic on!

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The only other forum I was ever a member on was bananas.org. all the Emojis were banana people, wish I could give them to bananaman.
P.s. growing bananas in Pennsylvania is for the birds, don't do it

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All Classic! But this is great!

S
It's supposed to be the best.
I really hope it works well because next week I plan on repotting this specimen again. A root grew. And a bud popped! I know I only dug it up 3 days ago but it's really growing and I'm worried it's going to get away from me.
So moving forward if it needs something I'll do what I usually do. I'll wait until someone kind of agrees with me and latch onto that view. It's the one I want to hear not need to hear because I've already done it.
Oh no! A drop of water got on a leaf and scorched it. At least I think that's what happened. I've heard not to get water on the leaves because a drop acts like a magnifying glass and burns them. Or it could be fungus? I'lladd some mychocazzi and osmocote to fix it hopefully. But while I'm doing that should I repot it? It looks like I have 6 too many particles of lava in my mix and need to correct that.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...Oh no! A drop of water got on a leaf and scorched it. At least I think that's what happened. I've heard not to get water on the leaves because a drop acts like a magnifying glass and burns them... ...
If you are not in a position to conduct a controlled, audited peer reviewed, double blind scientific study using a control group along with the experimental group, THEN all this is anecdotal evidence with no validity and reliability!
You cannot ensure that what you are saying and what is working for you is as accurate as possible.
Instead, you are reporting inaccurate data and unjustified conclusions drawn by means full of methodological weaknesses!

Reaction score
I really hope it works well because next week I plan on repotting this specimen again. A root grew. And a bud popped! I know I only dug it up 3 days ago but it's really growing and I'm worried it's going to get away from me.
So moving forward if it needs something I'll do what I usually do. I'll wait until someone kind of agrees with me and latch onto that view. It's the one I want to hear not need to hear because I've already done it.
Oh no! A drop of water got on a leaf and scorched it. At least I think that's what happened. I've heard not to get water on the leaves because a drop acts like a magnifying glass and burns them. Or it could be fungus? I'lladd some mychocazzi and osmocote to fix it hopefully. But while I'm doing that should I repot it? It looks like I have 6 too many particles of lava in my mix and need to correct that.

Put it in paracetamolar clay, that will help get rid of the aphids.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sounds like you need to take it inside. It's obviously suffering out in the elements.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
You can just put them on whatever?
Interesting.
Oh yea.. probably the most misunderstood part of Banzai. When you really get good you can learn the art of grafting a sac on. I do this with sac cuttings I make. No hormone needed. Its in the sac!!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just the sac dude. Sac bearings are a different matter
Dam!
I wonder if that's where the saying grow a pair comes from since they can't be grafted on only the sac.
I guess an empty sac isn't really good for much.

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
If you had done your research you would know you should have wired all the branches already. Use 5mm to the tips. Make sure to to wire each branch with the wire going clockwise and another wire going counter clockwise. Make sharp 90° bends going up and down only.

You will be ready for that show.

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Correct me if I'm wrong?...... but was Sac grafting not started by Wong Hung Low?

sac tree.jpg

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would like to apologize if I have offended anyone with my previous posted image…. This is an old photo the Sac has since been bleached.:)

Top Bottom