Just when I said the other day, no more projects...I can't stop this itch I have for one more

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I asked Matt Smith if I might use this photo of his I cropped. Of some Trident Maple exposed root cascades. (Hubba-hubba) Being "just" a backyard hobbiest. I could not justify the expense even on the one smaller one on the right. Though...do not get me wrong...I so feel they were well worth the asking price with the time that went into creating them. I even shared his link in places trying to get one to buy it so it wasn't a temptation to me. Finally it sold...so YAY! Was excited for the one who made that sale...but, it still in the back of my mind of this style.
image.jpg

Fast forward to going back and looking at Al's elm root cuttings. I noticed how much more mature those roots were than say...neagari training where ones separate the roots in a larger substrate to create a cool root system. Both are cool...but a different look. So...I look at his bound roots...and think...they remind me of a smaller version of the Tridents Matt had. Thanks @Smoke for sharing your project here...for others to gather inspiration.
image.jpg

image.jpg

So now...my plan is to locate a trident to work with. Why trident...because they are known to get thick roots...are fast growing and one can accomplish a lot in a short time.

So never working with tridents...would like some direction on roots. What size tree am I looking for? I ponder...do I want prebonsai where the roots were not messed with but the top may have something quirky to chop with movement already I can work into a cascade...or just go to my local nursery...and buy a tree and chop it.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I doubt you’ll find trident at your nursery, I don’t think they are hardy to your zone. They grow fast enough to start with a stick if you are willing to wait, to make your own, or get a small plant from somewhere.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I doubt you’ll find trident at your nursery, I don’t think they are hardy to your zone. They grow fast enough to start with a stick if you are willing to wait, to make your own, or get a small plant from somewhere.
They say zone 5-8 ... But, I have not looked into tridents ever. So you may be right. If this was for my yard...after those Arctic spells. I look for zone 4...but for bonsai...I go up to a zone 7...with my winter protection. Will have to put a call into my local nursery. If their Ohio based supplier has them. He would easily order me one in. I mean...a chop...would allow it to bud back...for branches and a new leader to work with. I just don't know what size pot will allow their roots to still be manipulated to a degree. So prebonsai...I would have less variables.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They say zone 5-8 ... But, I have not looked into tridents ever. So you may be right. If this was for my yard...after those Arctic spells. I look for zone 4...but for bonsai...I go up to a zone 7...with my winter protection. Will have to put a call into my local nursery. If their Ohio based supplier has them. He would easily order me one in. I mean...a chop...would allow it to bud back...for branches and a new leader to work with. I just don't know what size pot will allow their roots to still be manipulated to a degree. So prebonsai...I would have less variables.
You can easily keep one with your protection scheme.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You can easily keep one with your protection scheme.
Yes, thanks to you...for your guidance in taking that step. Such peace of mind...and no two step currently. My lights on to keep them happy. I must admit...☺️ I still am firm it is because of your advice...my trees did not die during that artic spell we had.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’ll start one now and keep track of it with updates.
Jealous! But think it's cool this thread has peaked your interest. Make sure to tag me. You are the trident master. How you keep up with them amazes me. I have heard one say having two on their bench is to much work.

Scott has trident whips... @JudyB ... may have to go that route. Do the large substrate in a bottle verses binding roots. For surely the roots tender and young.

Last edited:

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
One of the guys at my local club calls Amur Maples (acer ginnala) the "Minnesota Trident." They are cold-hardy and fast growing enough to be invasive here (making them "specially regulated," but legal to sell, and a guilt-free yardadori/yamadori subject).

I don't know if they grow roots the way that you'd need to make this project work, but I figured I'd offer it as a suggestion.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of the guys at my local club calls Amur Maples (acer ginnala) the "Minnesota Trident." They are cold-hardy and fast growing enough to be invasive here (making them "specially regulated," but legal to sell, and a guilt-free yardadori/yamadori subject).

I don't know if they grow roots the way that you'd need to make this project work, but I figured I'd offer it as a suggestion.
Indeed!!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jealous! But think it's cool this thread has peaked your interest. Make sure to tag me. You are the trident master. How you keep up with them amazes me. I have heard one say having two on their bench is to much work.

Scott has trident whips... @JudyB ... may have to go that route. Do the large substrate in a bottle verses binding roots. For surely the roots tender and young.
Elms are too much work. Tridents have some latitude. You can let them run some and prune back and keep a pretty tidy tree. With elms, the twigs fatten pretty fast if they run much past three inches. They can fatten to matchstick in two weeks and be pencil thick in two months. Just beasties they are.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

There was a discussion on amur on a FB group. On how they lose branches...repotting each year can help...but they can drop a branch. Many...who had them lost interest in the cultivar over that frustration. I actually have one. Which has lost branches. But for sure an option to a colder climate.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Elms are too much work. Tridents have some latitude. You can let them run some and prune back and keep a pretty tidy tree. With elms, the twigs fatten pretty fast if they run much past three inches. They can fatten to matchstick in two weeks and be pencil thick in two months. Just beasties they are.
Thanks...I am thinking with the roots thickening the way Matt's trees did one could have a tree look more mature by those thickening roots.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why not look for a privet. They have good fleshy roots, grow fast and fatten fast. The Japanese privet has really small leaves. They grow everywhere. Seen some growing at the bottom of the kelp beds while diving for abalone!!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Why not look for a privet. They have good fleshy roots, grow fast and fatten fast. The Japanese privet has really small leaves. They grow everywhere. Seen some growing at the bottom of the kelp beds while diving for abalone!!
Honestly...I was thinking fall color and how their roots engulf ROR. Never really seen a privet or if I did...I didn't know it.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I pruned them last spring I put all the cuttings in this pot. Didn’t prepare them didn’t spit on them or use hormone. Just shoved them in. They all took!!! There’s about 25 in there. That’s how aggressive they are. They are water whores though. Let them dry a day and they will puke up.
EA793DDC-EDE4-4553-B8BC-CC031BEF6F27.jpeg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
When I pruned them last spring I put all the cuttings in this pot. Didn’t prepare them didn’t spit on them or use hormone. Just shoved them in. They all took!!! There’s about 25 in there. That’s how aggressive they are. They are water whores though. Let them dry a day and they will puke up.
View attachment 183572
Their water needs...put me off to be honest. Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like a breeze if not for that.

Top Bottom