Just when I said the other day, no more projects...I can't stop this itch I have for one more

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A different kind if anticipation...than say this tree shipped from Scott Lee.
20180401_141053.jpg

My trident whip mails out tomorrow. ?I am certain the material coming may have been material I would not have been kind to for its just a whip. But...from humble beginnings...I am excited to get this project on the road.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was also under the impression that privet were/made junk bonsai. Not sure where that came from, as I have never even had one. Privet just does not interest me.
The right privet is probably one of the best bonsai subjects there is. In the right hands it is gold. If you don’t know what your doing I can see the feeling you might have. I’ll take them all day, and will show you exactly what they can do soon.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just checked my tracking number...my large pumice is in my package bin at the front of the lake. I see this project being together by the weekend! ? Jonas from Bonsai Tonight has done a lot of exposed root...and he's offered some great direction. Pumped to get this started. They are also amazing quick on shipping!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well no...had lunch with the hubs...and a couple other contractors. Was off afterward to purchase some drainage pipe. They were saying...they weren't sure you could buy it by such little amounts. Then...discussed my heading over to our cement sub contractors place. He would have some surely. Well an hour later I have enough for several projects. Once I showed him my photo of my desired tree. He's like...here take enough to make a few projects. Cool looking tree. I doubt I do more than two. But he was impressed with my endeavor and glad to help. ?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That looks right. Jonas wouldn’t steer you wrong.

Here’s an exposed root JBP I bought from Jonas:

9DE8FE1B-086D-4380-850D-2F026BBE34FD.jpeg

I’m still digging little chunks of pumice out of the base!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That looks right. Jonas wouldn’t steer you wrong.

Here’s an exposed root JBP I bought from Jonas:

View attachment 185773

I’m still digging little chunks of pumice out of the base!
Yeah...Scott directed me to him...just his link he attached was of much larger pumice. But he said both would work. But sent a sample of the x-large...and I was on the wall. Thought that was the size I had bought all along. Thanks Adair! If your digging them out...then he surely used both methods with good results.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
wouldn’t want to use a colander with tridents.
No? Smoke does.
I also use them for all deciduous trees.

They're excellent for getting deciduous trees roots to make fine feeder roots. Faster than just cutting them back once per year.

I'm talking from experience in using them on every tree I have.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No? Smoke does.
I also use them for all deciduous trees.

They're excellent for getting deciduous trees roots to make fine feeder roots. Faster than just cutting them back once per year.

I'm talking from experience in using them on every tree I have.
Smoke and I seem to disagree on several techniques. If you like the way Al’s trees look, then do it like he does.

I like the look of Ebihara’s Maples. So that’s the method I follow.

But, I’m really a pine kind of guy. They develop fast in comparison to deciduous trees!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I went with a terrecotta orchid pot...thinking it won't breadk down over the long drawn out project. Went looking for plastic bulb pots...to be able to drill...but the orchid pot has 3 side holes to use to help wire the drainage pipe into the pot. With a controlled greenhouse in winter set at 30F...I am hoping it will handle winters.

vaibatron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The right privet is probably one of the best bonsai subjects there is. In the right hands it is gold. If you don’t know what your doing I can see the feeling you might have. I’ll take them all day, and will show you exactly what they can do soon.

Couldn’t agree more. If Harry Harrington’s work with privets isn’t example enough...

Attachments

• A27E746B-9E78-4006-9AE9-5F424DB2BDBD.jpeg
    A27E746B-9E78-4006-9AE9-5F424DB2BDBD.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 12

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Couldn’t agree more. If Harry Harrington’s work with privets isn’t example enough...
Amazing specimen...but the trunk is what makes this tree. A young whip of a tree is like comparing bonsai seeds being sold with specimen tree photos of examples of what you get. They are so far apart in comparison.

But that is one sweet tree! Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom