Just when I tell myself...Only pots for trees I own...I buy this

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What is the glaze seal inside? That looks pretty cool...
Honestly...no clue. Something the potter created most likely.

EDIT: I honestly didn't even notice the glazing on the inside seal. Hopefully not enough to cause an issue. I know we don't want our pots to have glaze on the inside of them. But...the glazing...WOW! Love it. Sort of got all tunnel vision.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Honestly...no clue. Something the potter created most likely.

EDIT: I honestly didn't even notice the glazing on the inside seal. Hopefully not enough to cause an issue. I know we don't want our pots to have glaze on the inside of them. But...the glazing...WOW! Love it. Sort of got all tunnel vision.
With correct soil size glaze on the inside is not so much of an issue. Back in the day....pots were not glazed on the inside so they could breathe. Pots fired to correct temp ( cone 8 or higher) to prevent frost issues are so vitrified they do not breathe anyway. Terra cotta pots like orange bulb pans will actually wick up water and hold it for a time.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
You bought that one!?! I was eying it every day this week- great get! I have been trying to cut back buying pots on there... I am trying MAKE a little money on $.99 Bonsai, not spend my Pay Pal balance on pots... Hard NOT to do though...

I did sell 4/5 items this week! Then, I bought like $40 worth of trees from Mark on Classifieds. Dang It!

What would be there problem with glaze inside the pot? Many pots have glaze extending inside the pot from the top down... It shouldn't be a problem. That one is gorgeous though... The more shallow one he sold this week was killer too! His glazes are fantastic- complex and interesting colors.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
You bought that one!?! I was eying it every day this week- great get! I have been trying to cut back buying pots on there... I am trying MAKE a little money on $.99 Bonsai, not spend my Pay Pal balance on pots... Hard NOT to do though...

I did sell 4/5 items this week! Then, I bought like $40 worth of trees from Mark on Classifieds. Dang It!

What would be there problem with glaze inside the pot? Many pots have glaze extending inside the pot from the top down... It shouldn't be a problem. That one is gorgeous though... The more shallow one he sold this week was killer too! His glazes are fantastic- complex and interesting colors.
This is the other one I liked... He has an unrefined style... Really blurring the line between "rugged style" and "does this guy even know what he is doing"? The feet on your for instance were very crudely done... There is a very random application of the glaze on all of his glazed pots and rustic look to the unglazed- I like them though... image.png

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When we think about the HARDEST WORKING MAN IN BONSAI , some think Kimura, maybe Ryan, maybe their favorite collector. ........

I think it is your Husband !

Best tell him....

He's got a "jewelry box" to build!

Sorce

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those pots are very difficult to use for bonsai, I think...you'd have to have the right tree (my opinion and taste, which are worth what you paid for them ;-) ). excellent for accent pots, though. Looking at some of the guys work online, I see he also has some issues with what to do with drainage holes. Function is first...

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice - yes... But useful? What I see are some "pretty" and nicely designed pots. I might even consider buying some but not to put a plant in as they all look like a pain to maintain. They would however look great in a glass door cabinet perhaps filled with sand and a nice collected rock. Just the way I separate things. :oops: Darlene already knows my view just had to get it out there.

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Those pots are very difficult to use for bonsai, I think...you'd have to have the right tree (my opinion and taste, which are worth what you paid for them ;-) ). excellent for accent pots, though. Looking at some of the guys work online, I see he also has some issues with what to do with drainage holes. Function is first...

It is a bold pot...and yes, your advice lines up with another as well. I was thinking neagari style which is a bold tree. But...until then...it may just end up with some nice brass buttons to display the pot. For sure...it will be potted up come spring of next year as an accent pot.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice - yes... But useful? What I see are some "pretty" and nicely designed pots. I might even consider buying some but not to put a plant in as they all look like a pain to maintain. They would however look great in a glass door cabinet perhaps filled with sand and a nice collected rock. Just the way I separate things. :oops: Darlene already knows my view just had to get it out there.

Grimmy
That IS a cool idea of displaying them! I may have to steal that...

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wonder if a silver birch might work in that pot...

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I almost bid on that one Darlene. John Cannon is an accomplished Potter and has Nite Owl Studios. His crescent and scoop pots are extremely nice. Good snag on that one Darlene.

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I almost bid on that one Darlene. John Cannon is an accomplished Potter and has Nite Owl Studios. His crescent and scoop pots are extremely nice. Good stag on that one Darlene.
Thanks Vin for more information to look into more of his material! As well as I appreciate your not going up against me in a bidding war. I was quite the crazy lady with lagging internet last night. As my bidding shown. I was ready to take on the world if one came at me...my only person I had to fear was myself. Fortunate for me...John is taking my first bid...and not my craziness bids at the end...not knowing if I was bringing out a bidding war or time and how it works...just bidding agasint myself. Crazy fool I am...I was willing to pay my highest bid...but he's a gentlemen and taking my first one.

Reactions: Vin
Top Bottom