Just wondering what is a better fertilizer ?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wondering what is a better fertilizer for my collection of bonsai trees? I have 2 Brazilian Rain Trees, A Chinese elm, a Ficus Retusa, a Japanese green maple, Trident maple, juniper, 2 mugo pines, and a jade.

I have been using the Dyna-Grow Bonsai Pro, think it is 7-9-5. Was roaming the local garden center earlier looking at the clearance rack, and was looking at the different fertilizers they have, they have the Dyna-grow grow which is 7-9-5, then they have something that looks like Osmocote but a different name, of course they have Miracle grow, and then they have the Tinyroots bio gold type.

Since the bottle of the Dyna-grow bonsai pro I have is getting low, figured I would see what is the ideal one to use for all my trees?

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I got banned, BANNED, from a bonsai forum for ASKING if anyone just pinched off a loaf onto to substrate surface.

Apparently that is not a thing. In case you were wondering.

Gardenweb.com c. 2001

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Spiked? Wasn't that the term? Sent to disneyland?

Seriously though, there may be justification for banning you on THIS forum just because you mentioned that somewhere else.

OP, you're over-thinking it. Dyna-grow seems to be working for you. The others probably would as well. If you're not going to go organic (that's a whole other can of worms), one of these fertilizers is probably as good as another, particularly if the numbers are w/in the same ballpark. If I were just wishing up a fertilizer, it'd be in the ratio of 3-1-2.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Trees are trees anywhere in the world and need pretty much the same nutrients so your trees won't really care what brand you use provided there are nutrients. I use several different products in rotation on the grounds that if one is lacking in some small nutrient the others should make up for that.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I will say the Dyna-grow is easy to use, 1/4 teaspoon per gallon or 1/2 gallon of water. 1/4 teaspoon every watering for maintenance, or 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water for growth. I guess I could use 1/2 teaspoon every other watering.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do they contain the necessary micronutrients or only NPK? Your trees need the other stuff too, but they don't care about the brand

Top Bottom