JUSTIN BROUWERS (Buxus sinica) My belated entry to the box store challenge

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Last weekend a thread about the box store challenge popped up, and I thought, excellent, right on time!!! Well not really. Anyways, I bought a JUSTIN BROUWERS (Buxus sinica) with about a 1-1/2" trunk. See image below. Anyways, ended up with a nice looking little fellow.

My question is, given the species, the mid spring status of South Caroline at this time and the fact that it is pushing new growth, How much work can I do on this tree?

image.jpg image.jpg

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Boxwood can be pruned most any time from what I know of them... They are shrubs cut fiercely back to boxes and circles all year long in landscapes after all...

As for repotting, probably a little late, but I just repotted three of mine over the past few weekends and all seem fine. Generally the broadleaf evergreens like these can be repotted later in the year than deciduous trees... Again, ideally a little earlier than this perhaps as we are getting temps in the upper 80s/ low 90s right now. If it is in dangerously tight/ over- crowded conditions and showing stress, you could do it now, but probably best to wait until March/ April of next year if you are not real comfortable with the amount of roots to remove, proper after care...

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That's a shame about you missing out on the Box Store Challenge. I'm with Eric on the care of Boxwoods. I've repotted them as late as April and as early as November. I've tried in the summer months but most of those seem to die slowly. By looking at, there doesn't seem to be any reason to repot it at this point. If it were mine, I would work on getting the bones ready. From my experiences, trying to hurry boxwoods ends up in sad face posts. Good luck!

jedge76

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I agree with Eric and Vin. I would prune to compact the overall tree and allow light into some of the interior branches. See what's under all of that nice foliage!

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I finally got to prune it and get some pictures. I am expecting a bit more under the surface, but here it is. Hopefuly didn't overdo the prunning.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice.

I would remove those 2 wings on the bottom when you get health to.

Looks like they may spoil your image

I like it!

Sorce

Top Bottom