Juvenile Growth on Japanese Black Pine

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Hello,

I purchased a Japanese Black Pine in late February this year. Instead of candles, this Black Pine had produced all pollen sacs. Judging by the shape of the tree, I am guessing these were produced as a last resort attempt at reproduction from the dying tree.

I removed all of the pollen sacs, which left only what looked like 2-3 year old growth. The tree responded with an explosion of growth. It budded everywhere, and I was happy to see candles extending.

However, when the needles opened, the tree produced 70 percent juvenile growth and 30 percent mature needles. In addition, all of the candle extension was relatively short, just over an inch.

Here is my question. Do I remove all of the juvenile growth during the typical candle pruning season this year? Or do I just allow the juvenile growth to stay for this year and hope for mature growth past it next year? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Beebs

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Hello,

I purchased a Japanese Black Pine in late February this year. Instead of candles, this Black Pine had produced all pollen sacs. Judging by the shape of the tree, I am guessing these were produced as a last resort attempt at reproduction from the dying tree.

I removed all of the pollen sacs, which left only what looked like 2-3 year old growth. The tree responded with an explosion of growth. It budded everywhere, and I was happy to see candles extending.

However, when the needles opened, the tree produced 70 percent juvenile growth and 30 percent mature needles. In addition, all of the candle extension was relatively short, just over an inch.

Here is my question. Do I remove all of the juvenile growth during the typical candle pruning season this year? Or do I just allow the juvenile growth to stay for this year and hope for mature growth past it next year? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Beebs
Pictures please

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
On the second picture you can see the growth I am talking about on the right branch of the tree. It is a thicker, scaly type of growth than the candles that actually produced new needles. This picture was taken three weeks ago and since the dormant buds you see have broken and produced 70 percent of the same type of growth.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
So, any pruning to this exceedingly weak pine will likely kill it. I wouldn't do anything to this other then full sun and good feed and water for at least a year or two. Also, fill in your profile with your location as it will help others in your region give more specific advice based on locale.

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Thanks Dav4. That is what I was thinking, but I was looking to get some more knowledgeable input on it. I know that the tree will need to be repotted in the next few years as the soil is beginning to get ever so slightly water resistant. Do you think it would be dangerous to do so Just before bud break next year? Obviously it would be a non-intensive repot. Just enough raking and soil clearing to get some new, less broken down soil in there. I am even wondering if the soil might be part of the problem here.

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I would not remove any growth on it at this point. Most of the needles look kinda old and any new growth is helping it stay healthy. Is it in a sunny spot?

Last edited:

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Tree is very weak right now,i would get it healthy before doing anywork,looks like the branches needed to form the next apex have been jinned

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Watch for insects,especially mites!they will seek out weak trees,be vigilant!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Beebs, I'm not sure what "juvenile" growth on a JBP is. It appears that your tree may have been decandled in the wrong season, last fall.

As others have said, leave it alone. Those young needles will grow out over the summer.

Late next winter, do repot it. And you DO need to do an extensive, invasive repotting! I suggest you search this forum for "half bare root" repot.

For now, give it full sun, water, and start fertilizing. Add some now, more next week, more the next week, etc up until frost.

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I would not remove any growth on it at this point. Most of the needles look kinda old and any new growth is helping it stay healthy. Is it in a sunny spot?

Yes it is. It gets a little bit of shade in the late late afternoon. It only loses about an hr of the sunlight i get in my backyard. It is south facing as well.

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Beebs, I'm not sure what "juvenile" growth on a JBP is. It appears that your tree may have been decandled in the wrong season, last fall.

As others have said, leave it alone. Those young needles will grow out over the summer.

Late next winter, do repot it. And you DO need to do an extensive, invasive repotting! I suggest you search this forum for "half bare root" repot.

For now, give it full sun, water, and start fertilizing. Add some now, more next week, more the next week, etc up until frost.

By late next winter, do you mean when i can guarantee temperatures in my unheated garage wont get below freezing? Thats kind of what ive read around the internet.

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Also, for future reference, don't remove the flowers. Leave them alone. They'll dry and fall off on their own. Flowers aren't necessarily an indicated of near death. I have healthy JBP that flower as well. You can remove cones with scissors as they start to form.

Repot before the candles move/buds break. You definitely don't want it to freeze after you've repotted it.

Fertilize (something on the surface so there's a little fertilizer each watering, and use a liquid fert. once a week), water, sun, manage pests. Don't do anything else for the rest of the growing season.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow that tree has hardly any foliage left. This tree is standing on the edge of a cliff ready to fall off if you arent careful

As others said, put it in the sun, feed it, water it when necessary and leave it alone.
I wouldnt do anything to it besides repot when it needs it for several years just to let it get strong again.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
After a repot, frost is ok, but protect from a hard freeze.

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Wow that tree has hardly any foliage left. This tree is standing on the edge of a cliff ready to fall off if you arent careful

As others said, put it in the sun, feed it, water it when necessary and leave it alone.
I wouldnt do anything to it besides repot when it needs it for several years just to let it get strong again.

These pics are from 3-4 weeks ago. If its light out when im home ill post a current pic. A lot more bud break but all juvenile stuff.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I thought I read on this forum JBP ONLY make Juevenile growth!

Am I gettin topics mixed up?

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I think I just saw a Ryan Neil video a couple days ago, where he spoke about juvenile foliage on JBP....weird but apparently true.

Yeah. Thats why i was thinking the tree was near death. He said either in real bad shape or real good shape is when trees produce those pollen sacs. Mirai has helped me tremendously

Top Bottom