Juvenile Hedera fusion

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just guessing here, but one could have posted any picture of a tree with good moss on it. Even a picture stolen from the internet. But you chose to show a Boston IVY in a common ivy thread. I can't help but make a connection. It's called Boston ivy, therefore I have an ivy and I can kill two birds with one stone. It;s OK your secret is safe with me....

Just in case you didn't know it...Boston Ivy is on the list of acceptable Federal Govt. plants to be planted on Federal Highway bridges. Its the vine you see clinging to the bridge and covering the concrete with green keeping graffitti at bay. If you want a good fat one just put on a orange flourescent vest (Harbor Freight, Home Depot and Lowe's) and act like you belong there and dig one up. I've seen some that came off bridge plantings 6 inches across and amazing.

Really reading between the lines on this one Al...

Do you have any tighter moss? Cushion moss...I have that longer moss stuff around here too. But find the tighter moss in small patches placed on a pot gives more depth. Just a suggestion...yours still looks nice.
Example my mame Boston Ivy...the moss was frozen when I gathered it...so color is off in this photo. But you can see the depth I tried to add by small patches of moss in a small pot. The moss has come out of its dormant frozen state in my greenhouse now. Love moss as well. ?

View attachment 185433

Great way to pass time waiting out a snowstorm though...?

I only listed the species because we do that here...this thread was all about how I APPLIED MOSS to a tiny pot for DEPTH! Why in the world would I look online for such a photo of adding depth with moss when I had one in my album?

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
You should twist the hederas together so they spiral up...
Will give good interest to future trunk...

It's got about a twist and a half under the tape between the roots and the "branching." I kind of wanted to see how some of the lowest leaves responded to pruning at the apex under vigourous growth before doing too much more manipulation. It's taken me enough years of my life to get a general understanding of how axillary buds work, but the little bit of pruning I've done on these cuttings doesn't result in what I would expect.

Parthenocissus is not a true ivy. It is in the grape family and a climbing vine, with the two most popular being Boston Ivy and Virginia Creeper. Parthenocissus is latin for "Virgin ivy." If it loses its leaves its not ivy
Hedera, is a true ivy

This is an interesting way of putting it, especially in light of sources that like to talk about how Hedera is a climbing shrub, not a vine. Yet "ivy" comes to mind when one thinks of a vine. Other plants that come to mind when one thinks of vines are in the Order/Family Vitales/Vitaeae: like grape (vitis vinifera), and the parthenocissus species (quinquefolia: virginia creeper, tricuspidata: boston ivy).

So... why is hedera the "true ivy" when so few of it's other Family Araliaceae relatives (including panax (ginseng) and the aralias (angelica)) are even vine-like.... Nomenclature is funny that way.

But putting aside taxonomy, and looking at this from an internet bonsai forum perspective: one mame climber in a tree-like form on a bed of moss seems well met with another: perhaps think of it as relation by marriage, if not by lineage?

Well then @Smoke ... This is my bougainvillea which has been one of the longest in my collection which slipped my mind...and where I have taken it. Just getting ready to hit the five year mark Al...

Sorry @sparklemotion for hijacking your thread...

Never apologize for showing me a bougie. Mine is currently sulking because of an ill-timed repotting (I knew it was a gamble and I took it -- it's pushing new growth though). It's in one of my favorite pots so I'm looking forward to being able to show it off in a few weeks.

Flounder61

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey sparkle motion:

Im in MN too. Your ivy, how is it working?

Did you just twist together a few strands and wire them?

Will they fuse/grow together?

If you can't tell, I am new to all this! Thx for your reply!

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Hey sparkle motion:

Im in MN too. Your ivy, how is it working?

Did you just twist together a few strands and wire them?

Will they fuse/grow together?

If you can't tell, I am new to all this! Thx for your reply!

This experiment didn't make it. All of the stems but one died over the summer, and I accidentally killed the last one by clipping its head off in the fall.

I have some other hedera starters undergoing various tortures, but nothing great to show for them yet.

Are you in the Twin Cities? Hope to see you at a MN Bonsai Society meeting soon!

Flounder61

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This experiment didn't make it. All of the stems but one died over the summer, and I accidentally killed the last one by clipping its head off in the fall.

I have some other hedera starters undergoing various tortures, but nothing great to show for them yet.

Are you in the Twin Cities? Hope to see you at a MN Bonsai Society meeting soon!

Yep, I'm south of the river. If I ever go to a meeting, I will stand there whispering "Sparklemotion?"

Sorry to hear ab your hedera. I just twisted a couple together and wired them. Felt all accomplished and sh*t. We'll see what happens.

Top Bottom