Juvenile Hedera fusion

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
When your April bonsai club meeting is canceled due to a snow storm, mischief is gonna happen.

I currently have a mame obsession and a lack of decent material. Instead, I have a bunch of dehydrated "cushion moss," and some variegated hedera helix that I got at the grocery store.

So... Why not tie some stems together, and put them in a tiny pot? For bonus points, maybe shove an interesting piece of Jasper in the "root base?"

Then, soak some vivarium moss and try to make that pretty dome shape that I always like, but mostly fail. Et, voila!

IMG_20180403_213929_Bokeh.jpg

If they live until next month's meeting, maybe I will try to wire them.

IMG_20180403_191340.jpg
IMG_20180403_193024.jpgIMG_20180403_213955.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Do you have any tighter moss? Cushion moss...I have that longer moss stuff around here too. But find the tighter moss in small patches placed on a pot gives more depth. Just a suggestion...yours still looks nice.
Example my mame Boston Ivy...the moss was frozen when I gathered it...so color is off in this photo. But you can see the depth I tried to add by small patches of moss in a small pot. The moss has come out of its dormant frozen state in my greenhouse now. Love moss as well. ?

image.jpg

Great way to pass time waiting out a snowstorm though...?

Last edited:

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Do you have any tighter moss?

I do, and I've got some good spots in mind for collecting the sun tolerant "parking lot" moss that @sorce loves so much. But it's all still under more snow than I want to think about.

Great way to pass time waiting out a snowstorm though...?

This project was kind of the bonsai equivalent of a pantry meal. What do I have around that's in a usable state that can be made to look halfway decent and also have some improvement potential?

I'd purchased the cushion moss from a local reptile pet shop with an eye to trying to rehydrate it for terrariums and the like. This planting is mainly an experiment to see if the moss will actually live since it will be a lot easier to pull dead moss off of this little pot than if I planted a whole terrarium with the moss as an understory.

These hedera cuttings are basically "shelf-stable," as far as a non-succulent living plant goes. I love the hedera bonsai that I've seen, and I'm a little disappointed that the cuttings that get sold as houseplants won't really bonsai up without fusion. One of these days, I hope to obtain a cutting off of a mature hedera to get a "proper" tree out of. Hedera isn't hardy here, so urban-dori (or even mature nursery stock) aren't an option.

I love your little boston ivy-- I might have to keep my eye open for good possibilities.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@sparklemotion ... Under snow...goodness...my mind can't wrap around that. Sorry...

I think you did a great job with pantry meal bonsai concept.

The Boston Ivy...thanks. It was a mess of long vines. I may have pruned it back to drastic I think at times...but the vines were all limp far to long for it to look like a direction. Needed someone's hand to take a direction with it. To bring order...it's so alien like out of leaf. Though...one must embrace it.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Parthenocissus is not a true ivy. It is in the grape family and a climbing vine, with the two most popular being Boston Ivy and Virginia Creeper.
Parthenocissus is latin for "Virgin ivy." If it loses its leaves its not ivy

Hedera, is a true ivy

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Parthenocissus is not a true ivy. It is in the grape family and a climbing vine, with the two most popular being Boston Ivy and Virginia Creeper.
Parthenocissus is latin for "Virgin ivy."

Hedera, is a true ivy
That's an interesting little factiod!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thats why I'm here....to keep the facts straight....someone's got to do it.
The reason the left is so pissed with Trump. They can't handle all the truth flying around.....Lol.....in fact LMAO......Bwah hahaha

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Too bad we can't have a home page here like on facebook so one could post their best trees at all times to allow people when evaluating the worthiness of a post it could be done based on examples of experience.
DSC_0005.JPG

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Parthenocissus is latin for "Virgin ivy." If it loses its leaves its not ivy

Hedera, is a true ivy
Did not know that...never looked at Virginia creeper as an Ivy...but assumed Boston Ivy...well...was Ivy. But in fact it does go dormant losing its leaves. Thanks for the tidbit.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Too bad we can't have a home page here like on facebook so one could post their best trees at all times to allow people when evaluating the worthiness of a post it could be done based on examples of experience.

Some of my best trees I feel aren't the ones I developed. The one I am most prideful of...goodness...the pyracantha I would imagine. It was a pathetic state when I bought it...but full of potential. I am pretty prideful of that ryusen...it looked dead with little to look at when I saved it from the compost bin.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's why I'm here....to set the less educated on the right path. There is nothing worse I feel...then less than factual crap on the internet. Too much crap gets posted as the truth and people have no idea what they are taking about. I'm not directing this wrath at you, Your post was just the catalyst that put it in motion.

I love the pot your creeping vine is in...hehehe...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some of my best trees I feel aren't the ones I developed. The one I am most prideful of...goodness...the pyracantha I would imagine. It was a pathetic state when I bought it...but full of potential. I am pretty prideful of that ryusen...it looked dead with little to look at when I saved it from the compost bin.

That is not a reason to not feel proud of your accomplishments. It's when you can show the before pictures, and the five years later pictures when asked. When you can do that and see this truly dramatic accomplishment, it doesn't really matter how good or bad the material was when you started.

These two pictures are in one day. That's a pretty dramatic statement, and a testament to thinking out of the box.....

009.JPGDSC_00152.JPG

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's why I'm here....to set the less educated on the right path. There is nothing worse I feel...then less than factual crap on the internet. Too much crap gets posted as the truth and people have no idea what they are taking about. I'm not directing this wrath at you, Your post was just the catalyst that put it in motion.

I love the pot your creeping vine is in...hehehe...
Scratching head at how my post accomplished that...topic on Ivy? I posted about moss. But still a good tidbit. Not an Ivy...climbing vine.

Thanks...that pot is simply delicious. Lipstick on a pig my friend...lipstick on a pig...or...creeping vine. Depending how one looks at it.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Scratching head at how my post accomplished that...topic on Ivy? I posted about moss. But still a good tidbit. Not an Ivy...climbing vine.

Thanks...that pot is simply delicious. Lipstick on a pig my friend...lipstick on a pig...or...creeping vine. Depending how one looks at it.
Just guessing here, but one could have posted any picture of a tree with good moss on it. Even a picture stolen from the internet. But you chose to show a Boston IVY in a common ivy thread. I can't help but make a connection. It's called Boston ivy, therefore I have an ivy and I can kill two birds with one stone. It;s OK your secret is safe with me....

Just in case you didn't know it...Boston Ivy is on the list of acceptable Federal Govt. plants to be planted on Federal Highway bridges. Its the vine you see clinging to the bridge and covering the concrete with green keeping graffitti at bay. If you want a good fat one just put on a orange flourescent vest (Harbor Freight, Home Depot and Lowe's) and act like you belong there and dig one up. I've seen some that came off bridge plantings 6 inches across and amazing.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some how this has become a challenge...unfortunate.....

Top Bottom