JWP Apex Design Advice

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi all,
my first real wiring of a pine, so please dont be super critical..
I need some advice on the design of the apex, I have 2 options in mind:
1) pull the right branch left and round the apex to the right
2) pull the left branch to the right and move the apex more into the right to fill out some of the negative space.

im not sure what works best with the movement and flow of the tree.
hopefully this makes sense
20200422_165549.jpg20200422_184551.jpg20200422_203020.jpg20200422_184545.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's too complicated without the 3rd dimension being available to the remote viewer. Your query is stated well enough, but the final 5% of styling needs to smoothly dovetail with the whole shebang and only you, Dr. Frankenstein, can see clearly the path forward and make the final move. Don't screw it up or history will hold you in contempt. Good Luck.

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's too complicated without the 3rd dimension being available to the remote viewer. Your query is stated well enough, but the final 5% of styling needs to smoothly dovetail with the whole shebang and only you, Dr. Frankenstein, can see clearly the path forward and make the final move. Don't screw it up or history will hold you in contempt. Good Luck.
Very verbose.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Styling apexes is difficult... at least at first. Often, the branches are kinda spiraled around in order to get foliage across the top. It gets easier with practice.

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Styling apexes is difficult... at least at first. Often, the branches are kinda spiraled around in order to get foliage across the top. It gets easier with practice.
yeah i dont enjoy working out how to do an apex. I was lucky enough to have a video call with Peter Warren and this tree was one of the subjects. the outcome after trying a few options is to try and give the tree some direction.
1) the planing angle will go back maybe 20% so its not coming at you so much.
2) the branch on the left will be shortened as the left and right are pretty equal so it looses its direction
3) move the apex round as i have indicated above (yay i was right) and have the tree with movement to the right of the image.

hopefully that makes sense. it had a dramatic repot (rot in the core) so i lost a lot of roots so this year its just recovery really. the wiring ive done is light to just keep in trim, im not going to do anything dramatic this year

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I recently failed miserably on a juniper! Any tips? To my untrained eye, It looks like on a lot of them that one of the upper branches is bent over in a rainbow shape so all the little branches off of that form the dome?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently failed miserably on a juniper! Any tips? To my untrained eye, It looks like on a lot of them that one of the upper branches is bent over in a rainbow shape so all the little branches off of that form the dome?

Look at pictures or through binoculars at interesting real trees;). It does not seem hard for me but cannot describe🤪. Definitely no "dome"/green helmet!

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Look at pictures or through binoculars at interesting real trees;). It does not seem hard for me but cannot describe🤪. Definitely no "dome"/green helmet!
👍
Yes think of the structure an entire deciduous tree....

at1.PNG

and that's how to make your apex.
littpine.JPG

Top Bottom