JWP Back Budding & Styling

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm not really sure where to begin styling.

I want a more informal upright, but I'm not certain as to what to do with the two larger branches below the leader to the left and right. Any recommendations on how to wire this one up?

I'm also curious how to encourage new growth on said branches. I think the candles have already been broken for the season. Is there any other way to promote back budding on those branches? A few lower branches seem bare but alive. How would you go about ataining growth there? Or are they no longer any good?

I'm open to constructive criticism and any other pointers. Which branches to chop -- if any. Pines aren't my forte. 7JUN2024.jpg

Likely would create a better tree, sooner, for bonsai if you chop above the three lower branches.

Then wire the long chunky branch up and use that that as a sacrifice. No decandling. Let it grow unchecked for a couple years.

Then decandle the other two branches each year if they have long candles. This will create ramification. If short stubby candles start forming. let grow for a year, then continue.

Feed well.

Finally next year pull out of pot, arrange roots, the repot trunk on a good 30-45 degree angle.

Down the line 3-5 years cut the sacrifice off and wire a good sub branch of the upper of the two branches up as leader. The other will form the lower branch in the composition

Likely by then the tree will have a good amount of branching on each side to select from.

Hope this helps

Cheers
DSD sends

Likely would create a better tree, sooner, for bonsai if you chop above the three lower branches.

Then wire the long chunky branch up and use that that as a sacrifice. No decandling. Let it grow unchecked for a couple years.

Then decandle the other two branches each year if they have long candles. This will create ramification. If short stubby candles start forming. let grow for a year, then continue.

Feed well.

Finally next year pull out of pot, arrange roots, the repot trunk on a good 30-45 degree angle.

Down the line 3-5 years cut the sacrifice off and wire a good sub branch of the upper of the two branches up as leader. The other will form the lower branch in the composition

Likely by then the tree will have a good amount of branching on each side to select from.

Hope this helps

Cheers
DSD sends
Something like this? Sorry for the crude photo editing.

Attachments

• Chop question.jpg
    Chop question.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 20
Something like this? Sorry for the crude photo editing.

Yea something like that and lean the tree more to the left and use the second branch on the right as the new leader. It's got a good candidate for that. Wire that branch up some to make the transition smoother.

BUT you need to get this tree very healthy and vigorous first before you chop. It's pretty strong up top but you need to try to divert more energy to those lower branches.

I might consider cutting that tallest top now where the 3 come together to help get more of that energy below.

As Sea Diver said, FEED the tree well.
This will be a multi year transition so be patient

Yes. As @Paradox mentioned chop now.

Misspoke in one place. See below:

“Then ‘decandle the other two branches each year’ if they have long candles. This will create ramification. If short stubby candles start forming. let grow for a year, then continue.”

Given it is a JWP, instead of decandling these two branches in the future…. properly energy balance these lower candles per single flush technique each year in spring to promote backbudding.

…additionally, wire/style remaining two branches more horizontally, with tips up. This will to ensure new leader is well above “lower branches.

Cheers
DSD sends

Back
Top Bottom