JWP first step transformation to Bonsai

Jyy

Seedling
Reaction score
Recently bought this JWP and wish to seek advice to draw up plan to transform into Bonsai. I am new to Bonsai.

15D718AB-C916-4B60-8772-155CE1AE9AD4.jpegF778DA8F-32DD-4771-B11F-15FFDDBD4C42.jpegDF99D8D1-8A62-40CB-9099-79C3EA827C24.jpeg7271DD24-06FB-4307-93D4-E2DE4B188EBC.jpeg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Jyy,

welcome to the forum. If you go to your profile, and insert your location, people can help you with more pointed information!

I like your tree, but will for now leave it at that. I have no noteworthy experience with JWP.

Reactions: Jyy

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Look for a line in the tree, start wiring at the base and go from there. I always just thin out some shoots that are running into eachother and pointing down.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just a small information. Tree is grafted likely onto Japanese Black Pine. Base is fairly big. That is normally good however base is awkward from presented angle and base will outgrow rest of tree as well as bark not matching. Somehow that must be hidden/deemphasized in development or display of tree. Sorry for bad news. However will leave actual tree development advice to Japanese White Pine keepers;).

Jyy

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks all the sharing the knowledge. Yeah, the root bark did looks out of line with the tree..

I have inserted my location on the profile..

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just a small information. Tree is grafted likely onto Japanese Black Pine. Base is fairly big. That is normally good however base is awkward from presented angle and base will outgrow rest of tree as well as bark not matching. Somehow that must be hidden/deemphasized in development or display of tree. Sorry for bad news. However will leave actual tree development advice to Japanese White Pine keepers;).
It’s a named cultivar, most certainly grafted. If it was propagated here in the US, the stock is likely not JBP, more likely Scots Pine. But, there certainly is a big difference in caliper between the stock and scion which will always be difficult to work with.

All we can see from your photo is the trunk coming up out of the soil. No evidence of the nebari.

The OP needs to dig down around the trunk and find where the roots start. They may be just under the surface, or they may be buried several inch down.

Frankly, while I love JWP, that graft union is such I would probably have not purchased this plant for bonsai. As a yard tree, it would be fine.

Good luck!

Jyy

Seedling
Reaction score
It’s a named cultivar, most certainly grafted. If it was propagated here in the US, the stock is likely not JBP, more likely Scots Pine. But, there certainly is a big difference in caliper between the stock and scion which will always be difficult to work with.

All we can see from your photo is the trunk coming up out of the soil. No evidence of the nebari.

The OP needs to dig down around the trunk and find where the roots start. They may be just under the surface, or they may be buried several inch down.

Frankly, while I love JWP, that graft union is such I would probably have not purchased this plant for bonsai. As a yard tree, it would be fine.

Good luck!
Most likely will plant on the yard..

DrBonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I agree with Adair. However, Since you all ready purchased the plant, why not gain experience with working on it.
You could use it as a yard tree or you can find the nebari, repot it at its best angle, and then wire it. Learn how to manage the growth
and fertilization.
All good practice for when you get your "better" JWP !

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

That's a lotta good branching.

When the top is that dope, it begs for a shot.

And with the way micro technologies are advancing, maybe after a few years we learn how to repeatably air layer white pine.

Then It will be perfect.

Seems like it's hurting a little. I'd lift it and check for bugs etc. Maybe clean the "duff" off the top and have a look see....looks packed with roots. It certainly has "outgrown" that pot on top.

Learning repotting is learning repotting, leave the "putting stuff in the ground" to the undertaker.

If you do put it in the ground, don't put it in the ground like a bonsai that isn't. Put it in the ground like a white pine that Is!

Sorce

Top Bottom