JWP grafting

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
This is my ongoing quest to graft jwp. I acquired some EWP rootstock from a local nursery that was being discarded as they grafts for the nursery trade didn’t take.
B739D12B-BF60-4AA5-98AD-EE66EF392A8E.jpeg
I bought a Regenhold JWP. It obviously isn’t good for bonsai in it’s current form.
9B5AFE25-6A18-4FAD-BE77-4804F6009A93.jpeg2078EC01-0101-4CCD-85DE-FE729A524A36.jpeg
I am barerooting the EWP bands down to the lowest first root. And then I’ll graft the Jwp onto it, wrap it, seal it and put it back in the band pot. It have them in a green house to keep them humid.

I didn’t come up with this technique, I copied it from someone off FB. I’ll try this with cork bark onto JBP next week.

AFE6BA93-7795-4664-87B6-1744EEDF9F55.jpeg
E1FF7A23-0881-427B-B305-792125D91D47.jpeg
5B1AD803-4AF1-4E64-B837-859C6A086743.jpeg
D8187BD2-6702-4DE7-A8BD-81262E4EA45F.jpeg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Is this your first side veneer graft?
The one pic showing the scion inserted in the stock appears to show the scion placed central in the cut. A successful graft requires cambium contact between stock and scion. Scion is usually placed to one side of the cut to get better contact of cambium.
It is possible the photo angle plays tricks with perspective or you have allowed for thicker stock bark with the grafts but just thought I would check.

I don't find it necessary to apply sealer. Budding tape seals the area quite well enough for the grafts to take.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Is this your first side veneer graft?
The one pic showing the scion inserted in the stock appears to show the scion placed central in the cut. A successful graft requires cambium contact between stock and scion. Scion is usually placed to one side of the cut to get better contact of cambium.
It is possible the photo angle plays tricks with perspective or you have allowed for thicker stock bark with the grafts but just thought I would check.

I don't find it necessary to apply sealer. Budding tape seals the area quite well enough for the grafts to take.
It’s not my first time. I angled them to cross the cambium.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Do you know if this method of grafting will work on a beech tree that is a little short of low branches but has top branches that need to be removed and maybe grafted lower? Help appreciated!

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice low grafts, have you done some like this and been successful? I'm hoping to make my first JWP onto JBP grafts this winter.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Nice low grafts, have you done some like this and been successful? I'm hoping to make my first JWP onto JBP grafts this winter.
This is my first time grafting on seedlings this low. Last year I tried jwp on JBP but it was the wrong time of year and higher up on the seedlings. None of them took but I didn’t have high expectations.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It’s not my first time. I angled them to cross the cambium.
Good strategy when you are not absolutely sure of where the cambium is on the stock and explains the difference near the top of the graft.

I have also taken to grafting as close to the roots as possible. It really reduces the problem of scion outgrowing the stock and change of bark is far less noticeable when the union is so low.

Good luck with this year's attempts.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am bringing back this thread because there has been off hand discussion from a few members about grafting of Japanese White Pines lately. Whether grown as bonsai or as specimens, I think this is the most elegant pine there is. It has also proven to be a problem child for JWP lovers to a degree due to the lack of availability of specimens with workable grafts for bonsai.
The standard root stock has been Japanese Black Pine, but I suspect that is adopted from the Japanese. It can make a really hideous graft that can and often will last forever. And because success with layering or cuttings is near nil for most cultivars, that leaves us with two options I see.
First is the type of graft that will produce a less noticeable union.
Second is the choice of pines to use as understock.
I have 12 labeled cultivars at present. I have Eastern White Pine seedlings ordered. I have Mugo Pine seedlings now. I am even considering some of the native pines to my region but this may have drawbacks I am
unaware of.
I really want to pull lovers of JWP into this forum that is already existent so that we can learn from each other and not repeat mistakes others have already born ........... unless it is your desire to do so.

Top Bottom