JWP needle issue?

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
I just got this JWP shipped from a bonsai nursery near me and I noticed some possible reasons for concern. It shipped very quickly, I received it about 24 hours after it was shipped. It was well packed and there were no issues upon initial inspection of packing and packaging. Once I got into looking over the plant I quickly noticed that the needle tips were off color. I’m slightly worried that this is a sign of root rot but I wanted some other opinions before I lift it from the pot out of season or contact the seller.

Needles with browning tips
DC2BA384-B9A5-4A47-8224-1B4E69584024.jpeg
7B11F73F-82A0-40A6-B747-9B9F515AF80E.jpeg

The full tree
CAAC6CAF-5366-45CB-A5D4-7B71CEB1D3C2.jpeg
The soil appears to be mostly lava and grit with some Osmacote type fertilizer. It’s free draining and very loose.
5B451A1A-1304-4F9F-99C9-B8173861EAB8.jpeg

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
1668553364579.png
I believe they're generally resistant to needle cast, but not immune.
Wouldn't hurt to treat for it, but especially in the Spring as candles are extending.
Using both granular Infuse fungicide, and a spray that lists needle cast, though I'm
not certain that is what this is.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
View attachment 463075
I believe they're generally resistant to needle cast, but not immune.
Wouldn't hurt to treat for it, but especially in the Spring as candles are extending.
Using both granular Infuse fungicide, and a spray that lists needle cast, though I'm
not certain that is what this is.
I was worried more about phytopthora than needle cast. When I’ve seen needle cast (or what I was told was needle cast) the brown was more blotchy, sometimes like irregular bands on the needles. This seems to be effecting just the very tips which from my reading can indicate root issues or over watering. The soil was quite damp but I know that they water the plant pretty heavily before shipping so it doesn’t dry out if there is a hold up.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good pictures. This appears all happened at same moment of time as if very hot weather or similar caused needles distress but not death for short period as needles growing out rather than disease:(. Also happened this was early in growing time several months ago so very unlikely is root rot or current problem.

Last edited:

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Good pictures. This appears all happened at same moment of time as if very hot weather or similar caused needles distress but not death for short period as needles growing out rather than disease:(. Also happened this was early in growing time several months ago so very unlikely is root rot or current problem.
I ended up calling Wayne at Riverbend (where I purchased the tree) and according to his explanation you’ve hit the nail on the head so to say. He had one week over the summer where the heat was off the charts and these seedlings, as tender as they are, suffered some. The plants rebounded well as you can see by the season’s healthy bud set. He said he would not worry about it and stands behind the plants as healthy. @Potawatomi13 considering your assessment and Wayne’s this puts my mind at ease.

This tree has a lot of really good features, short internodes, short foliage and reasonably prolific budding so I’d really like for it to remain healthy… oddly it also seems to retain foliage longer than other JWP I’ve seen. For a plant from seed it seems to have retained many features of its yatsabusa parent (an Aizu JWP I am told). I’m hoping to create a decent shohin with this eventually.

Top Bottom