JWP needles should be green in spring right?

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So My JWP acquired a few moths ago seems to have an issue. Needles turn far more yellow that I like. Has full sun all day long. Have been watering with ground water. I know JWP needles turn yellow in fall but this seems way too early then. Iron deficiency? Other ideas?

IMG_20220422_160219.jpg

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Automatic sprinkler was activated one week while I was away on holiday. Rather wet feet than too dry then.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Automatic sprinkler was activated one week while I was away on holiday. Rather wet feet than too dry then.

Color could indicate a root issue which could be because its too wet or dry for too long.

Constant wet feet in pines is bad. This time of year, daily watering might be a little too much since the pots don't get as much drying as when it is warmer. I water mine every other day in early spring for this reason.

However it looks like the soil is coarse? What is it in? How long ago did the lawn system start watering and how often does it go off? If it was only for one week while you were away then it is not long enough to see this imo. What was the watering schedule prior to your vacation?

It could be iron deficiency. Try giving it some chelated iron which will require watering by hand when you apply it. I'd give it a dose every couple of weeks. Will take some time to turn green again if it is iron deficiency.

I had a JWP turn yellow on me a few years ago. A schedule of adding the chelated iron to it when I gave it fertilizer turned it around but it did take a few months

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How did it come to you?

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around an auto water during what should have been winter.

Seems to sparse. You can fix any symptoms but the cause is probably the sparcity, sparsity, 🤼🌆?

Sorce

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Color could indicate a root issue which could be because its too wet or dry for too long.

Constant wet feet in pines is bad. This time of year, daily watering might be a little too much since the pots don't get as much drying as when it is warmer. I water mine every other day in early spring for this reason.

However it looks like the soil is coarse? What is it in? How long ago did the lawn system start watering and how often does it go off? If it was only for one week while you were away then it is not long enough to see this imo. What was the watering schedule prior to your vacation?

It could be iron deficiency. Try giving it some chelated iron which will require watering by hand when you apply it. I'd give it a dose every couple of weeks. Will take some time to turn green again if it is iron deficiency.

I had a JWP turn yellow on me a few years ago. A schedule of adding the chelated iron to it when I gave it fertilizer turned it around but it did take a few months
Soil is 50% akadama 50% lava, 2.5 to 3 mm. Watering system activated at 6am for 30 min and 8 pm for 30 min. Sprinkler system is the following:

1200x461.jpg
Rotates continuously.

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How did it come to you?

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around an auto water during what should have been winter.

Seems to sparse. You can fix any symptoms but the cause is probably the sparcity, sparsity, 🤼🌆?

Sorce
Bought it at a discount sale from a dealer with very decent reputation here in the area. Was more green at the time.

Temps are around 15-20° C here (approx 60°F), very dry the last weeks (and while I was away even more). The auto water system is in place since I had a bad experience last year when I asked a friend to water when I was away, which he did not (thorougly) enough.

I use ground water which is probably too rich in phosphate

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bought it at a discount sale from a dealer with very decent reputation here in the area. Was more green at the time.

Temps are around 15-20° C here (approx 60°F), very dry the last weeks (and while I was away even more). The auto water system is in place since I had a bad experience last year when I asked a friend to water when I was away, which he did not (thorougly) enough.

I use ground water which is probably too rich in phosphate

Was the watering system on for just the week you were away? Is it still watering 2x per day now? If so, how many weeks has it been?

Twice a day is probably a bit much. Also 50% akadama will hold quite a bit of moisture. I use 1/3 akadama, 1/3 lava, 1/3 pumice for my pines.

High phosphate in your water shouldn't be causing this

I use the same kind of lawn sprinkler for my trees all the time. I like it for the better reliability as well.

My pines get watered now every other day. It's cooler and the soil doesn't dry out as fast. I go to once per day watering when day temperatures get to around 70 F. I only need to water 2x a day when it gets to 90 or 95 F in the summer. My system runs for 15 minutes to cover all my trees with enough water for the day.

Sorry about all the questions but I'm just trying to get at what is going on to help diagnose this issue and solve it

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was more green at the time.
But the same volume of foliage yes?
Did you repot it? I ask not to condemn but to understand what the root system may look like.

I wouldn't worry about the ground water....what is ground water? well or chlorinated?

If it was such fair weather at home, I hope your Holiday was as much more pleasant than that as it could be!

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Did you repot it? I ask not to condemn but to understand what the root system may look like.

I wouldn't worry about the ground water....what is ground water? well or chlorinated?

If it was such fair weather at home, I hope your Holiday was as much more pleasant than that as it could be!

Sorce

"Ground water" typically refers to well water as opposed to municipal water sources

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Was the watering system on for just the week you were away? Is it still watering 2x per day now? If so, how many weeks has it been?

Twice a day is probably a bit much. Also 50% akadama will hold quite a bit of moisture. I use 1/3 akadama, 1/3 lava, 1/3 pumice for my pines.

High phosphate in your water shouldn't be causing this

I use the same kind of lawn sprinkler for my trees all the time. I like it for the better reliability as well.

My pines get watered now every other day. It's cooler and the soil doesn't dry out as fast. I go to once per day watering when day temperatures get to around 70 F. I only need to water 2x a day when it gets to 90 or 95 F in the summer. My system runs for 15 minutes to cover all my trees with enough water for the day.

Sorry about all the questions but I'm just trying to get at what is going on to help diagnose this issue and solve it
The system was functioning for some weeks before I left. Let's say 6 weeks in total. I wanted to test it thoroughly in order to be at ease while away. I deactivated it a few days ago. I will set up a different schedule for my pines. I seem to be quite good at killing pines. When reactivating the water system I will set it to 2 x 15 min. I was afraid 2 x 15 would be not enough. Tnx 4 the help , questions and assistance are appreciated.

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Sorce
I cut a little bit of foliage. Not much but nevertheless. I repotted it end of feb. Had to do some root pruning as I noticed this was urgent. Root system was healthy.

Ground water is indeed well water.

Went to Gran Canaria (86°F and free rum drinks @ the pool) and smuggled a pinus canariensis with me ;). It is struggling now tho.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The system was functioning for some weeks before I left. Let's say 6 weeks in total. I wanted to test it thoroughly in order to be at ease while away. I deactivated it a few days ago. I will set up a different schedule for my pines. I seem to be quite good at killing pines. When reactivating the water system I will set it to 2 x 15 min. I was afraid 2 x 15 would be not enough. Tnx 4 the help , questions and assistance are appreciated.
That is a lot of water for a white pine. The soil looks wet, the needles look unhealthy, and this year’s candles appear to not be growing yet, but they should be. This tree needs all day sun, water probably every other day (soak it, let it dry, repeat), and when this year’s needles are open in late summer, feed it heavily for a couple months. No pruning, no wiring for the next 6 months.

My friend Peter Warren was watering my trees once and when he got to a JWP he said, “here is how you water a white pine” and he proceeded to get the pot wet, fence behind the tree wet, and the ground wet, laughed a little and moved to the next tree.

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That is a lot of water for a white pine. The soil looks wet, the needles look unhealthy, and this year’s candles appear to not be growing yet, but they should be. This tree needs all day sun, water probably every other day (soak it, let it dry, repeat), and when this year’s needles are open in late summer, feed it heavily for a couple months. No pruning, no wiring for the next 6 months.

My friend Peter Warren was watering my trees once and when he got to a JWP he said, “here is how you water a white pine” and he proceeded to get the pot wet, fence behind the tree wet, and the ground wet, laughed a little and moved to the next tree.
Tnx Brian, I think if I would have followed the instructions of Peter Warren I still would have a JWP I killed in the past. I guess the recent overwatering is the core of the issue. I will feed heavily in summer as instructed. No feeding now right?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
guess the recent overwatering is the core of the issue.

Not trying to convince you that's not a problem, but the core for me is always the first thing that happened.
If it had a bit more foliage to begin with, wasn't pruned and repotted, it may have had the systems working to deal with the water.

I don't want to see your pendulum swing to so dry you keep killing things for not accounting for these other issues.

Is there an electric pump on the well?
Haha! Still confused there, not that it matters, just interested in plumbing!

Sorce

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My guess is the combined repot and overwatering caused this. Unfortunately the tree looks very weak and on the way out. 😞

good luck.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I agree with Brian, 2x a day is too much water.
Your percentage of akadama is too high for a pine as well.

Please read what I wrote about the watering schedule of my pines. I don't water 2x in one day unless it's over 95 degrees Fahrenheit. I don't start watering once a day until temperatures reach 70 Fahrenheit during the day. Otherwise it's every other day.

Right now I am watering every other day and if we get more than 0.5 inches of rain, I delay watering by one day.

Pines do not like wet feet

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I agree with Brian, 2x a day is too much water.
Your percentage of akadama is too high for a pine as well.

Please read what I wrote about the watering schedule of my pines. I don't water 2x in one day unless it's over 95 degrees Fahrenheit. I don't start watering once a day until temperatures reach 70 Fahrenheit during the day. Otherwise it's every other day.

Right now I am watering every other day and if we get more than 0.5 inches of rain, I delay watering by one day.

Pines do not like wet feet
I adjusted my watering schedule since a few days. Does your aforementioned watering schedule account for pines only or deciduous as well?

Next repot will be in mix with pumice and perlite, grain size will be 5 mm instead of the 3 mm. I noticed this works a lot better with most of my trees. The soil dries out a bit faster but never becomes a solid mass as the 3mm does sometimes.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Stamp out laziness. If wanting to do Bonsai Learn to hand water or find non living hobby. Each tree is individual as children are. One size does NOT fit all🤨. If insisting on continuance of present practice expect to see continued tree death☠️.

Last edited:

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Stamp out laziness. If wanting to do Bonsai Learn to hand water or find non living hobby. Each tree is individual as children are. One size does NOT fit all🤨. If insisting on continuance of present practice expect to see continued tree death☠️.
I agree. When @ home I do everything by hand usually. This solution was intended for when i'm away on holiday as mentioned above. And not having to rely on friends.

Top Bottom