JWP= only acceptable graft?

faker

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Seems like every tree with a graft besides JWP gets frowned upon. Are the roots that bad? Are there any other species where grafts are acceptable?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Seems like every tree with a graft besides JWP gets frowned upon. Are the roots that bad? Are there any other species where grafts are acceptable?
???

I have a juniper wher the foliage is all grafted on.

Grafting is a common bonsai technique.

Now, some grafts are better than others. If you're talking about the grafts on trees we commonly see at landscape nurseries, those are often poor grafts. For bonsai. Those trees will not be under the scrutiny that bonsai are, so the graft makes no difference. But in a bonsai, an ugly graft is a major flaw!

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
On junipers it's usually foliage on the trunk. I don't mind those ones.

But the half way up the trunk sort of grafts suck.

faker

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
???

I have a juniper wher the foliage is all grafted on.

Grafting is a common bonsai technique.

Now, some grafts are better than others. If you're talking about the grafts on trees we commonly see at landscape nurseries, those are often poor grafts. For bonsai. Those trees will not be under the scrutiny that bonsai are, so the graft makes no difference. But in a bonsai, an ugly graft is a major flaw!

I worded my post poorly. Obviously grafting foliage, thread grafting for nebari, etc are among many acceptable grafting techniques when done tastefully. It just seemed like white pines were the only species to get a pass for obvious root grafts, even when done cleanly.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Your talking scion grafting. Which there are others that are acceptable. I just got a little kotobuki JBP that grafting is the only form of propogation.

Aaron

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I worded my post poorly. Obviously grafting foliage, thread grafting for nebari, etc are among many acceptable grafting techniques when done tastefully. It just seemed like white pines were the only species to get a pass for obvious root grafts, even when done cleanly.
Well, even then, some White pine grafts are better than others! Those will hardly noticeable grafts will be more valuable than those with an obvious graft.

Re the white pine on black stock grafts...

They graft the white on the black because the black pine trunk makes attractive bark much faster than does the white pine scion. The problem is the JBP trunk not only builds nice bark faster than JWP, it thickens, too. So, not only does the appearance of the bark change, usually there are large caliper change. So, the better trees are those where the caliper change is more gradual, or the graft Union can be hidden by a branch.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Your talking scion grafting. Which there are others that are acceptable. I just got a little kotobuki JBP that grafting is the only form of propogation.

Aaron
And the closer to the nebari the graft was made, the better. But, it's more difficult and time consuming to make a graft right at the nebari.

Top Bottom