JWP Opinion

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi all, I'm looking at a small white pine tree, I wanted something like this, my biggest concern is the graft union. Will this just continue to bulge and get bigger over time?

received_434884573731139.jpeg

received_436388756915041.jpeg

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
That graft will always be a problem.. personally, I'd pass.
I like the little stocky tree but yeah I can see it being a problem. I have a bigger non graft white pine shipping to me buy wanted something smaller with a bit more vigor.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi all, I'm looking at a small white pine tree, I wanted something like this, my biggest concern is the graft union. Will this just continue to bulge and get bigger over time?

View attachment 248218

View attachment 248219
Pass! If you do a great job of developing it, the result will still be below par with the graft.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes, it will get worse. It will become the most prominent feature of the tree.

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Only issue with this graft is the reverse taper.
If not for that I would get it just for the movement. Darn!
agree i like the gentle movement.
ok thanks guys ill give it a miss and keep hunting for a little nicer graft

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Of the pair, I would take tree #1, if only because the existing branching/foliage seems more compact to the trunk.

While both have a fault here/there, much better than the first tree you had interest in.

…….I'm sure you'll let us know if you pull the trigger on one!!😬

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I am leaning towards the first one, I like the idea of having more branches to work with but like the overall look of the fist...

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The bright background makes it hard to see the trunk, lower bark, and graft union. It seems the first might have better bark. Maybe they can get you better pictures.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The first one. On the second one you can clearly see the line of the graft. Dark bark below, and lighter bark above. Maybe it's visible on the first one too but it could just be a shadow?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Of the two, the first one is a far superior tree. The graft is better placed, the taper of the lower trunk is far better, it’s not leggy like the first one is, the color of the needles is better, the growth habit as evidenced by the tight tufts is better suited for bonsai.

I would buy the first, but I would not buy the second. Even if I didn’t have to choose between them, the second tree doesn’t have the qualities I look for when selecting JWP.

To give you an idea of a similiar tree I DID buy:

34E89C16-40C7-4907-9512-A936F199C204.jpeg

Decent lower trunk taper, foliage close to the trunk, good color, tight tufts. This one has two grafts: the lowest branch on the left is one, and the whole rest of the tree is a graft where the first branch on the right is. Unusual to have two JWP grafts on a single JBP trunk.

Keep in mind the selection criteria:

Trunk movement and taper;
Good quality foliage - color and tight tufts;
Condition - foliage close to the trunk (not leggy);
Good health.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How much do such trees go for nowadays?...and how long would it take me to screw it up :rolleyes: I wonder LOL.
The way to screw it up is by cutting off too many branches! JWP grow slowly, and are reluctant to back bud. They will, but not often. So, the strategy is to make the most of what you’ve got! Which generally means wiring in the early fall.

Don’t fertilize heavily “to make them grow”. Doing so leads to long internodes, and tends to fatten the JBP trunk too much. Which makes the graft union even more obvious.

And finally, they like a good inorganic soil which drains well.

Top Bottom