JWP Pick the front!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I bought this tree at the National Show. It's a grafted JWP on what we think is a Lodgepole trunk. It was grafted about 20 years ago.

This first picture is how it's currently sitting in the pot. It's hard to get the full feeling of the tree from a photo, so I'll try to explain what you're seeing;

The Shari on the trunk becomes a jibbed branch, which from this angle, comes right at you. An "eye poker" for sure! The foliage on the right, however, also moved towards the front, to where it's easily 6 inches closer to the viewer than the edge of the pot. Which softens the "eye poking" effect.

Current front:

image.jpeg

The alternative front is rotating the tree counter clockwise maybe 30 degrees. This moves the Jin over to the right, it no longer pokes you. The Shari is less sinuous, however, and the nebari isn't as wide. On the other hand, the upper trunk has more movement.

image.jpeg

Anyway, it's a pretty cool tree.

Let me know which front you prefer!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
In all seriousness, where is the falling branch in relation to the front in the second picture? It looks like it moves away from the trunk almost directly to the right, or even slightly towards the back?

Jrs1672

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like the second photo best. Better nebari and more interesting with the branching opened up.
Jay

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In all seriousness, where is the falling branch in relation to the front in the second picture? It looks like it moves away from the trunk almost directly to the right, or even slightly towards the back?
The drop branch (and I knew you'd pick up on it!) forks about an inch away from the trunk. One fork comes forward and to the right and the other serves as the "back branch". The branch above the drop branch is more forward than the drop branch.

By the way, it appears it's been a couple years since its been wired. Some wires are cutting in. And most of the wire stops about 2 inches short on the ends. So, after its re wired, everything should "tighten up".

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Second pic. Like this maybe?
Yeah, I was thinking about that, too.

@Dav4, this is one of those trees that warrants opening a good bottle of wine, and studying it on the turntable all evening!

There's two grafts where the foliage was put on the trunk. Both up at the top of the Lodgepole trunk. Then bent into position the same way junipers are grafted.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah, I was thinking about that, too.

@Dav4, this is one of those trees that warrants opening a good bottle of wine, and studying it on the turntable all evening!

There's two grafts where the foliage was put on the trunk. Both up at the top of the Lodgepole trunk. Then bent into position the same way junipers are grafted.
Let me know when...I'll bring the bottle opener.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This tree will be a stunner when it's thinned a bit and fully wired. I suspect I'd prefer the first front at that point as I actually like the fullness of the canopy from that point of view, and I feel like the dropped branch can be more fully highlighted from that angle as well... but it's a tough call.

Last edited:

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Obviously wait too difficult to choose, hence ship it to me.

See, I'm helpful.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Joke aside: the second picture if it was mine ;)
Which it is not...:mad::(:mad::(:mad::(

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
To me the first front. On the second, the flow of bleached deadwood with the trunk distracts me somehow. I wish I had this kind of starters.:)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally, based on the pics. I like the second option and planted more upright like chris suggested. I would bring some foliage in near the crown to break up the deadwood a bit.

I absolutely love this tree by the way! Wow

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
I think i would go for the first but really it must be seen in 3d.
What i dont like so much in the second picture is that the shari seems to be on the middle of the trunk for the most part. Off course at the top section a lot will be hidden by foliage i suppose but still, i prefer how the shari runs in the first picture.

As for the eyepoking jin, i believe you can get away removing most of it or perhaps some bending can solve some of it. The first jin on the left also needs shortening.

Nice tree though

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do you really need the eye poking part of that jin? I would consider cutting that part off, or carving it in a way where it does not come straight out and keeping option one as the front. Lovely tree. Let me know if you get sick of this one....;)

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Great pick up tree Adair, it's beautiful. I like first pic. Too much Jin/Shari in the second pic, I find myself wishing it didn't go so high up into the canopy.

Top Bottom