• Option 3

Votes: 24 61.5%

• Total voters

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
thank you everyone for all the advice on this, its something I always struggle with but feel like im slowly getting the hang of.
I've decided to go with Pot 3 which was my initial favourite and seems to be the consensus here.

I've been lucky enough to get some time with Harry Harrington, the British bonsai artist for some help with repotting and some refining which is booked for next friday so I'll post some pictures with the tree in its new home.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Remarkable tree and it would look good in a soup can, but #2 was my favorite pot for the tree and #1 was my favorite pot on its own.
The tree is strong but still a lady and #2 pot is a bit more feminine.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Remarkable tree and it would look good in a soup can, but #2 was my favorite pot for the tree and #1 was my favorite pot on its own.
The tree is strong but still a lady and #2 pot is a bit more feminine.
I agree. I like the curved sidewalls of that pot. Both 1 and 3 have straight sidewalls which look a bit too strong. At least, to my eye.

If this were my tree, assuming it didn’t “need’ repotting, I would have wired and styled it first. Then, repotted in the spring. Wiring and styling jiggles the tree around, even if it’s firmly wired into the pot. And such jostling about can break the tiny new hair roots that emerge after repotting. So, I would have wired while it was in the old pot, then repotted this coming spring.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I agree. I like the curved sidewalls of that pot. Both 1 and 3 have straight sidewalls which look a bit too strong. At least, to my eye.

If this were my tree, assuming it didn’t “need’ repotting, I would have wired and styled it first. Then, repotted in the spring. Wiring and styling jiggles the tree around, even if it’s firmly wired into the pot. And such jostling about can break the tiny new hair roots that emerge after repotting. So, I would have wired while it was in the old pot, then repotted this coming spring.
I agree sort of that its a bit of an odd pine as its a feminine pine but has a fairly strong solid base and formal upright styling so i wanted to reflect that in the pot i choose. to be honest i think any would work but im happy with it for now. i have a very tiny about of wiring to do (just 1 branch down a bit and im going to leave it alone this season now to recover.
I still cant work out if the tree is a kokonoe pine or not!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree sort of that its a bit of an odd pine as its a feminine pine but has a fairly strong solid base and formal upright styling so i wanted to reflect that in the pot i choose. to be honest i think any would work but im happy with it for now. i have a very tiny about of wiring to do (just 1 branch down a bit and im going to leave it alone this season now to recover.
I still cant work out if the tree is a kokonoe pine or not!
It’s certainly a nice tree! Can you take a couple of close up pictures of the buds? That might help with the identification. From the looks of it (needle color, tufts, etc.) it looks like it might be a Kokonoe. I’d rule out Zuisho.

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It’s certainly a nice tree! Can you take a couple of close up pictures of the buds? That might help with the identification. From the looks of it (needle color, tufts, etc.) it looks like it might be a Kokonoe. I’d rule out Zuisho.
20191205_211101.jpg
20191205_210929.jpg
20191202_204024.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hmm... could be Kokonoe

Here are a couple pics of mine:

2FBEAB3E-90E6-4536-9046-57D7D4FC9208.jpeg

31B874EC-5150-482F-B072-43ECCB0C1618.jpeg