Votes: 24 61.5%

• Total voters

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I really like option 2.
thanks, option 2 feels close to what its in which is a good shape. its a bit more of an usual tree to see JWP fairly upright.
I was leaning towards number 3 initially but im currently thinking maybe 1. seem to change depending on my mood! :rolleyes:

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like the thickness of the upper rim on 2. It conveys strength to me. Also the radiused sides caught my eye. Actually, any of the 3 would be great.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
#3 is my choice. Most refined looking of your 3 choices.

Color will be better contrast to the color of the bark.

I dislike pots that match too closely with the color of the bark. The pot should be lighter or darker than the color of the bark of the trunk. But important, should be in a complementing color family. For examples, red through brown to brownish black for trees with a warm brown color bark.

Trees that are gray, note whether it is a yellow gray, blue gray, brown-ish gray, or red-ish gray, and pick the right family of clay to complement the color family of gray the trunk is in.

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
#3 is my choice. Most refined looking of your 3 choices.

Color will be better contrast to the color of the bark.

I dislike pots that match too closely with the color of the bark. The pot should be lighter or darker than the color of the bark of the trunk. But important, should be in a complementing color family. For examples, red through brown to brownish black for trees with a warm brown color bark.

Trees that are gray, note whether it is a yellow gray, blue gray, brown-ish gray, or red-ish gray, and pick the right family of clay to complement the color family of gray the trunk is in.
Thanks for the explanation, I'm always terrible at picking pots, I'm a scientist not really an artist. Do you think the shapes / designs I've picked work with the tree? I'm open to other pot designs

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I LOVE your WP!
If I had a tree that beautiful, I would have to try to contact Sara
or someone to have one commissioned. If I had to vote or lose money I would vote #2 or 3,
but I'm not losing money so just wanted to say I really like your tree. Das beautiful! Do it justice.

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I LOVE your WP!
If I had a tree that beautiful, I would have to try to contact Sara
or someone to have one commissioned. If I had to vote or lose money I would vote #2 or 3,
but I'm not losing money so just wanted to say I really like your tree. Das beautiful! Do it justice.
Thank you, I wish I could claim it all as my own work but it's new this year. I was drawn to it as it's very JBP style but it's a full JWP on its own roots, so fairly old. I used to live near a big pine forest and this takes me back 😊

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
it's a full JWP on its own roots, so fairly old.
I hope these aren't Amazon or similarly located pots.
I'm not versed well on pots as is, say @Brian Van Fleet
but your tree raises the bar. So if these pots are of better quality please pardone my ignorance.
I am concerned with your Zone 9 and this tree however.

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I hope these aren't Amazon or similarly located pots.
I'm not versed well on pots as is, say @Brian Van Fleet
but your tree raises the bar. So if these pots are of better quality please pardone my ignorance.
I am concerned with your Zone 9 and this tree however.
Pots are from a bonsai shop. I'm going to do a bit of shopping around see what I can find.
Agree with concerns on my zone for this tree as I know true JWP like an extended dormancy. Tree has been in the UK a number of years and seems healthy. UK doesn't really have very harsh winters. It's out but protected from rain but we haven't got less than 2c yet

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Do you have native WP in local landscapes that tower above 50' (aged and adapted)?
Do you see them towering along golf course greens locally?
No, no WP they were Scott's pines mainly where I grew up

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The shapes of the pots you chose are generally fine. I like #3 the best for it has a more refined feel, which goes with the fine foliage of your JWP compared to more typically coarse JBP. Some might call #3 more feminine than the others, though it is fairly masculine to my eye. What attracted me is the workmanship of #3 seems to be a higher level, more detail, clean lines, and not as "clunky", not as thick or massive as the others. #2 could work fine also, but I like #3.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Any of the three would work. I prefer number 2.

They look like modern Chinese. Relatively high quality.

That’s a really nice pine, I would look for an antique Chinese pot or an antique (or just old) Japanese pot that has patina.

Pairing old trees with old pots really shows both elements to their best advantage.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think 3 resounds because it is the only one more a "show" pot than a trainer, like it is in currently.

But to be completely honest, I think it's the only one our brains remember in such fashion, as we scroll down and lose sight of.....

The tree 1.
And 2.
The other pots.

I believe this creates a false representation of what you should actually chose.

(I can't or I would..)

Can you shop em in...or simply...
Create a 2 pic collage of each pot with the tree....so they can be viewed simultaneously?

I agree and disagree with 0so.

I think we are moving towards slab because the right pot isn't present.

Is this narrowed down due to circumstances?
Or is this an all out, find the right pot no matter cost or time endeavor?

The tree certainly deserves the latter.
Later if need be.

Sorce

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think 3 resounds because it is the only one more a "show" pot than a trainer, like it is in currently.

But to be completely honest, I think it's the only one our brains remember in such fashion, as we scroll down and lose sight of.....

The tree 1.
And 2.
The other pots.

I believe this creates a false representation of what you should actually chose.

(I can't or I would..)

Can you shop em in...or simply...
Create a 2 pic collage of each pot with the tree....so they can be viewed simultaneously?

I agree and disagree with 0so.

I think we are moving towards slab because the right pot isn't present.

Is this narrowed down due to circumstances?
Or is this an all out, find the right pot no matter cost or time endeavor?

The tree certainly deserves the latter.
Later if need be.

Sorce
That’s a really nice pine, I would look for an antique Chinese pot or an antique (or just old) Japanese pot that has patina.

Pairing old trees with old pots really shows both elements to their best advantage.
I agree. I don't think the "right" pot to be paired with this tree has been presented.
And what @sorce said is accurate about bouncing back n forth between pics of pots and a tree in another pot
the eye/brain loses some grip on the task.

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I like #2 as well. That being said I might be partial to it since I just made a flared rectangle quite like it! Number 3 isn’t bad, but 2 definitely was my immediate first choice.

Top Bottom